Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Sunday, September 20, 2009

God Is Immutable


Probably one of my favorite characteristics of God is that He is never-changing. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. I can always count on Him to be the same God that He was for David, Moses, Daniel, and the twelve disciples. He does not grow stronger or weaker. He doesn't gain or lose wisdom. He never loves me more or less. He is completely unchangeable.

We live in an ever-changing world. Leaders change. Government changes. Clothing trends change. Toys change. Television shows change. In fact, I saw an advertisement for a show recently, and sad to say, I was embarrassed by the commercial. My first thought was If the commercial is that bad, how bad is the show? Swiftly on the heels of that thought came What ever happened to shows like Andy Griffith and Full House? Things change. Everything changes. Everything, that is, except God.

Doesn't that give you a great security? Doesn't it make you feel good to know that you can depend on Him to always be what He's always been? As I've grown older, I've found myself drifting away from some of my closest friends. Why? It's not that I don't like them anymore or that they don't like me. It's not that we've had an argument. It's simply that we've all changed and found that we don't have as much in common as we used to.

I don't have to worry about that with God. I know He won't change. I've been changing, but the great part is that the more I spend time with Him, the more like Him I become. In other words, we'll always have something in common. We'll always have things to talk about. I can depend on Him to be a Friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed. - Malachi 3:6 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. - Hebrews 13:8 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. - James 1:17



Bookmark & Share

No comments: