Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Falling Backwards


I recently came across a skit that I'd like to share with you.

(Jesus and a Christian are standing center stage.)

Christian: Jesus, I think I've finally figured out what my problem is.

Jesus: Oh, really? And what's that?

Christian: I just don't trust you. I mean, I want to trust you, but I just can't. I don't know how.

Jesus: I can help you with that. Let's try a little exercise.

Christian: Okay! That'll be great.

Jesus: Turn around and face that wall, and I'll stand back here behind you.

(Christian obeys.)

Jesus: Now, fall backwards.

Christian: What? You mean just let go and fall backwards? You're going to catch me, right?

Jesus: You don't need to worry about that. You just need to do your part. Do what I've asked you to do. Fall backwards.

(After much delay, Christian finally leans back and walks backwards into the waiting arms of Jesus.)

Christian: There, i did it! I fell.

Jesus: No, you didn't. You walked, and you were turned around and looking the entire time. Let's try this again. Face the wall. Now, fall backwards. Don't walk. Don't look. Just fall. Trust me. That's what this whole exercise is about.

(Again, after much delay, Christian falls backwards. Jesus catches him and stands him back on his feet.)

Christian: I did it! I trust you now. It's amazing. I know that you're there for me. Thanks, Jesus.

Jesus: Wait! We're not finished yet.

Christian: We're not?

Jesus: No, that was just stage one, and you did very well. But now it's time to move on to stage two.

Christian: Stage two?

Jesus: Yes! In this stage, I want you to face me.

Christian: Well, okay. That sounds easier than what I did just a minute ago, but I trust you. Here goes.

(Christian faces Jesus and begins falling forward. Jesus catches him.)

Jesus: Wait a minute! I didn't tell you what to do yet.

Christian: Oh, sorry. I'll wait for your instructions. After all, I trust you.

Jesus: Good. That's good. Now, are you ready?

Christian: I'm ready.

Jesus: Okay, face me. That's good. Now, fall backwards.


When I saw this skit, I saw myself. It's so easy for me to trust the Lord when I see Him waiting there to catch me. It's easy to trust when I know where the help will come from. It's easy when I see how things will work out. However, things get difficult when the answer is a mystery. When I have bills to pay and there's no money in the bank, I find it hard to trust. When God tells me to stay home and write when I know I could make better money going out and getting a "real job," I find it hard to trust. When it looks like everything is going wrong and God is nowhere to be found, I find it hard to trust. These are the times when my faith is really being tested. Sure, I can fall backwards knowing that God is there to catch me. But that's not really faith, is it? Faith is believing in the unseen. Faith is being able to fall backwards when I can't see anyone behind me to catch me. No safety nets. No parachutes. No plan B. Just faith! How are you at falling backwards?

1 comment:

Rami said...

Wow, just Wow!!