Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wield the Shield

Mitch displayed some peculiar behavior on our walk yesterday.  We were nearing the completion of our two-mile walk/run when he halted his pull on the leash and instead chose to circle back and walk beside me.  Mitch never walks beside me.  He's always as far ahead as the leash will allow him to go.  As if that behavior wasn't strange enough, he kept looking off to his right as if he were searching for something.  I followed the direction of his gaze but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. 

As we trudged up the hill on our street, he continued to walk on my right, constantly surveying the area to his right.  Then it clicked.  The day before when we had walked the same route, there was a small dog on the the front stoop of one of the houses on our right.  At that time, Mitch had seemed unconcerned with the dog, but I think that was probably because Jason was walking with us.  This time, I was alone and defenseless (or so Mitch thought), so he did as he always does when he feels I'm in danger and positioned himself between me and the threat.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen Mitch do this.  The unusual thing yesterday was that the dog wasn't there on the stoop, but Mitch remembered it being there the day before.  He was ready for trouble should trouble arise.  If, for some reason, he can't position himself between me and the threat, he goes wild.  He barks, growls and struggles to make a way to shield me from danger.  It's really sweet, and I have to tell you, it makes me feel pretty safe.  If you want to get to me, you have to get past my 95-lb shepherd first.  Any takers?  No?  Big surprise!

Do you realize that God does for us what Mitch does for me?  He positions Himself between us and our foes.  Over and over again, the Bible tells us that the Lord is our shield.  Where do you place a shield?  Between you and the danger.  God is our shield, and He is willing to stand between us and our trouble.

The problem many times is that we won't let him.  You see, too many times we stroll out the door in the mornings and leave our shield behind.  Difficulties?  No problem; I can handle it.  Troubles?  I can take care of that.  Fiery darts?  Annoying, but no big deal.  But before very long, we realize we can't handle it after all.  Things go awry.  Frustration sets in.  Our plans crumble before our very eyes, and we find ourselves questioning, "Where are you, God?  Why are you letting this happen to me?"  DUH!  Where is God?  Wherever we left Him. Why isn't He helping?  Maybe because we said we didn't need or want His help.  A shield is of no use if it's not wielded.

I could fight with Mitch every time he tried to protect me, but why would I want to?  Don't I want his protection?  Of course, just as I want the Lord's protection.  So why won't I let Him stand between me and the threat?  Why don't I wield my Shield? 

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him. - Psalm 28:7

No comments: