Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

What Can You Do Today?


Have you ever thought about how much one single act of kindness on your part could improve someone else's day? I thought about it a lot this morning while out running errands. At one store, the man behind me in line had two items while I had a cart full. I allowed him to go ahead of me in line, and he was filled with gratitude. It may have cost me an extra minute, but the joy I felt at improving someone's day was worth it.

At the next stop, the lady behind me had forgotten her Ingles' card. I still had mine in my hand, so I just handed it to the cashier who quickly swiped it then went on with the checkout process. The lady was so grateful that she thanked me several times. No big deal, but it felt good. After unloading my groceries into my truck, I went to put my cart in the cart return. There were three other carts there, but they had been thrown in there with no regard to the person who would have to come and collect them later. I took about 30 seconds to flip the carts up and slide them into each other. I didn't get to see the reaction of the employee who got stuck with the job of gathering carts, but I'm sure he/she will be relieved that someone cared enough to do things right.

I'm not bragging, mind you. In fact, more than once I've been guilty of just doing what needs to be done to get by. I've ignored the person behind me in line because I had "too much to do." Today, though, I was following the Lord's leadership. The truth is that with all three acts of kindness the Lord allowed me to display today, I got home within five minutes of the time I would have been home. It really didn't take much time at all.

I challenge you today to strive to make someone's life a little easier. Pick up that piece of paper. Return your cart to the proper place. Allow someone to go ahead of you. Lend a helping hand. One little act of kindness really goes a long way towards improving someone's day. Don't believe me? Think back to a time when you were the recipient of that act of kindness. Didn't it make you feel good? Didn't it brighten your day? Pay attention today to the ways you can show kindness to others. That's what Jesus would do!

No comments: