Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, February 4, 2011

Chased by Promises


I think I'm being chased. . . by Bible verses. Don't laugh. I'm serious. Let me explain. On Saturday, Jason and I were discussing some different songs. As I started listing some of my favorites, I discovered there was a common theme. They all dealt with the promise that we will never be alone. I shared my realization with Jason and then commented, "Well, it makes sense. That is my favorite promise of God." On several different occasions at church on Sunday, that same promise was mentioned.

Also on Sunday morning, our Sunday School attendant brought a brief challenge on how God's Word is a mirror for our lives (sound familiar?). He used the passage of James 1:22-24. On Monday morning, verse 22 showed up on the Verse of the Day widget I have on my phone. I took that as a sign to write the blog entry from the challenge he gave. As the day continued, I opened my devotional book to the next chapter and found the opening verse to be Hebrews 13:5-6. You know, "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee." So, it appeared that theme was carrying over from Saturday, but it didn't stop there.

On Tuesday morning, I awoke and looked at my phone. Care to guess what verse was on my Verse of the Day widget? If you guessed Hebrews 13:5-6, you see where this is going. As I sat in church Wednesday night, I couldn't help but smile as a lady sang, "He's my best Friend. He will never leave me." I'm excited, yet a little nervous to see where all this leads.

Today, as I read through my devotions, my heart ached. In it was my favorite verse which contains two promises -- one good and one bad.

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. - John 16:33

First off, God promises tribulation. These words came to life even this morning as I received a text informing me that my niece has the flu followed by a phone call from my dad telling me that he may have to put his beloved dog down. I cried as I hung up the phone, God's promise of tribulation heavy on my heart. My dad's news had brought back the pain of having to put my own dog to sleep a few years back. In this world ye shall have tribulation. The first words that come to mind? "No joke!"

But it's during these times that we must be reminded that the verse doesn't end there. The bad promise is followed by a good one. No matter how bad it gets, how hard it is, or how discouraged we become, Christ has won! And through Him, we can win! Yes, the world has troubles and hard times, but it won't last. And what a joy to know that even in the dark times, we are not alone. Trust me. I've been reminded a time or two!

No comments: