Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dirty Steeples


The church at the end of our road recently got a new steeple. The process, which took several days, was an interesting one. First, they took down the old steeple one piece at a time. They removed everything down to a small section at the bottom. Why they left that piece, I really don't know. Every time I drove by the church, I glanced up to see the progress on the new steeple. Finally, it was complete.

The new steeple is beautiful. It's also VERY white. The problem with this is that the section they left from the old steeple is no longer white. Time and weather have caused it to become a rather dull shade of greenish-gray. I didn't notice it before the new steeple was put on, but now as I see the two together, there is definitely a difference. I had hoped that once the construction was finished, they would clean or repaint the old section. As of the time of this writing, it still hasn't happened. It's sad because now when I look at the steeple, I don't see the beauty of the new steeple but the dirt of the old.

I wonder how many people are going through life thinking they're good because compared to the next guy, their steeple is white. If only these people would stop and examine their lives when compared to the Jesus Christ. Then they would see that their steeples are not so white after all. Good works and clean living can't get anyone to Heaven because when God looks at them, He sees what I see each time I look at that steeple. Sure, the work is good, but it's not good enough. It may look white at first, but not when compared to new life.

The Bible is clear that there is only one way to Heaven. When we place our trust in Christ, He doesn't just clean up our lives. He replaces them. Our old lives are passed away. We truly become new creatures. He doesn't just remove some of the filth. He takes it all. Now, when God looks at me, He doesn't see my faults or sins. No, He sees only my steeple made white by the blood of the Lamb.

What does your steeple look like today? Are you trying to maintain it on your own? How does it look when compared to the Lamb of God? If you truly desire a new life, there's only one way to get it. Call on Jesus. He's waiting. He's listening. He will answer.

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. - II Corinthians 5:17

No comments: