Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Something Stinks!


There are just some things about the behavior of dogs that I don't think I'll ever understand. Barking? Okay. Sniffing? Sure. Begging? Why not? But rolling in the droppings of another animal? That's just wrong! Still, no matter how many times I discipline my dogs, they keep doing it. Especially Tippy. You know, the one who is usually so prim and proper. The one who doesn't want to lie on the ground in the back yard because she's afraid she'll get dirty. The one who cleans herself like a cat. But give her a fresh (or not so fresh) pile of poop, and she's all in it. (I apologize to any of you who are eating while reading this post.)

Why? Why must they do that? And why must they be sure to get it on every inch of their bodies? We dealt with this issue last week. . . twice! And let me tell you, the drive home was almost unbearable. I got as much off her as I could in the lake, but she needed a good scrubbing and I just didn't have the proper bathing accouterments in my backpack. (Silly me! I guess I forgot to pack those.)

The more I think about it, though, the more I realize that I'm the same way. No, I don't roll in animal droppings, but I do like to rub around in sin. I don't want to sin. I don't mean to sin. But just as the smell of poop entices Tippy to roll in it, the lure of sin entices me to partake in it. Lying, overeating, being lazy. It doesn't matter what the sin is. The fact is that any sin is wrong. And while taking part in that sin seems fun at the moment, I quickly learn the same thing Tippy has learned: the results linger.

For Tippy, this means a cleansing. For me, I don't need to be cleansed. I've been saved, and at that point, the cleansing for all my sins (past, present, and future) took place. My sin can't keep me from Heaven, but it can keep me from sweet fellowship with God.

When Tippy has rolled around in droppings, I don't want to hold her, pet her, or even be near her. She stinks! My sin stinks to God, and the overwhelming fragrance keeps us from having the relationship we could have. To make things right, I don't need to be saved again, but I do need to confess my sin and ask for forgiveness. I need to make it right, so that there will be nothing separating me from my Savior.

Could you pass the soap?

No comments: