Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Are You Successful?

Have you ever compared your success to that of another and found your own sadly lacking?  As a writer and speaker, it's part of my job to know and study my "competition".  But to be honest, the process is often quite discouraging.  Do you know what it's like to see these authors of best-sellers and know that the words they spout are lies from the pits of hell?  They twist the truth to make it more acceptable so they don't offend their audience.  They smile and offer words on living simply in your faith in Christ while they fly around in multi-million-dollar jets.  They are liars.  They are hypocrites.  And yet, they are wealthy and popular.  Does that seem unfair to anyone but me?

Please understand that I'm not saying that all best-selling authors or speakers are that way.  But there are several well-known celebrities that are leading people astray and getting paid millions to do it.  Meanwhile, simple authors (like myself) who are striving to get the truth out are struggling to make sales and book meetings.  I guess the truth is harder to swallow and, therefore, not very popular.  Still, as I flip through the latest Christian book magazine, longing to see one of my books on its many pages, I can't help but turn my face toward Heaven and ask, "Why, God?  Why will you allow this filth to be published?  Why do you allow these lies to spread like wildfire?  I'm teaching the truth.  Why can't I be more successful?  Not for my own glory, but for Yours.  You know my heart. You know my true desire.  I don't want fame for myself.  I want Your truth to be known.  I want to see sinners saved and saints encouraged.  Why can't I succeed?"

God's answer can be found in Psalm 37:1-11.

Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.  For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.  Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.  Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.  Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.  And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.  Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.  Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.  For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.  For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.  But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. 

Through this passage, God reminds us that success is not about being popular or wealthy.  To be successful, we need only do what God has asked us to do.  He called me to write, so I'll write and leave the results up to Him.  He called me to speak, so I'll speak and leave the results up to Him.  If you, too, long to be successful in your life, do whatever it is that God has called you to do.  That's all He asks of us, and He promises us that it will all work out in the end.




4 comments:

JT said...

When we hear one of these so called Christians speak or read something they've written, it is easy to see through their fake front. God has given us the ability to see through CINO. Christians in Name Only

Dana Rongione said...

Yes, JT, I believe that mature Christians can see right through the fronts these people display; however, I fear for those of weaker faith and for the lost. With such a sly twist of the truth, what these people are saying sounds right and good, and I fear they are leading many astray with their "I'm okay; you're okay" philosophy.

merry said...

Yes, and doing God's will in God's way, for instance in writing or blogging can leave us feeling fresh rather than exhausted!

Dana Rongione said...

That's the truth, Anita. I can usually tell whether or not I'm doing the right things by how I feel about accomplishing them. Am I happy and satisfied, or did I just check another thing off my "to-do" list?