Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Reasonable Service

Okay, I have another bee in my bonnet today, so please forgive me as I rant for a few moments.  There is a point to my ranting, I assure you.  So please bear with me.

Last night I was browsing around on a website where people provide services for a certain fee.  I was looking to see if the site would be something I could use in my writing business, both to provide services and find services.  It was an interesting site with some of the normal ads like "I will edit your term paper for $5" and "I will write articles for you."  There were also some very strange ads and some that were rather embarrassing. 

Exploring my niche, I typed the word "Christian" in the search field.  Pages of results showed up.  I was excited to see that so many people were providing and/or requiring Christian services.  However, as I began to read, I became very dismayed.  The majority of the ads were things like "I will pray for you for 30 minutes for $5" and "I will read the Bible to you for $5" and "I will explain salvation to you for $5."  I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.  People were charging others to pray for them or to share the gospel with them.  What in the world?

My first question was "Are these people Christians or just people looking to make easy money?"  My second question was "If these people are Christians, what in the world are they thinking?"  As Christians, part of our responsibility is to evangelize the lost and edify the saints.  That means it is expected of us to pray for others, to tell others about Christ, to do anything we can to spread the love of God.  Not only that, but as Christians, we should want to do those things.  It should be a desire that runs through our being and directs our actions.  As Romans 12:1 puts it, it's our reasonable service.
 
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 

 

No comments: