Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, February 21, 2014

Name That Tune

Okay, I have a confession to make.  I haven't done my morning walks at all this winter.  I did well through the fall, but when the weather turned cold, I lost all desire to be outside.  We did a few hikes when time and weather permitted, but outside of that, my exercise routine has been pitiful.  Sure, I could have exercised indoors, and I did. . .some.  But there's nothing like a morning walk to get the blood pumping, the joints loosened and the mind calmed, and this morning, I was reminded of just how true that is.

With the sun shining and the mild temperatures, I put on my walking shoes and hit the pavement.  Instantly, I was overjoyed with the birdsong.  All around me a myriad of birds chirped their happy tunes.  Notice I didn't just say "tunes;" I said "happy tunes," for they were indeed cheerful.  The chirps and tweets filled the air with music and simultaneously filled my heart with joy.  Why?  Well, two reasons, actually.

First of all, the happy tune reminded me of God's faithfulness.  In Matthew 6, God reminds us that we needn't worry about anything because just as God cares for the birds, even more so will He care for us.  Matthew 10 tells us that not a single sparrow falls to the ground without the Father's knowledge.  The happy song of the birds this morning radiated a melody of creatures that were happy, provided for and not weighed down by the cares of this world.

Secondly, their soothing melody reminded me that I have a choice to make.  It's up to me to decide which song I'm going to sing today.  Will it be a cheerful tune that brings a smile to the face of others, or will it be a song of sorrow and defeat?  Will my song bring me down or lift me up?  Will it please the Father or anger Him?  You see, He has placed a song in my heart, and it's a good song, but He will not force me to sing it.  The tune I choose is completely up to me, and that's where things get tricky.

When things are going well, and the sun is shining bright, it's easy to sing, "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" and "God's Been Good."  Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the times when the day is dark and the shadows are long.  During those times, my mind recalls the line from the song that was frequently sung on Hee Haw:  "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all."  The melody is somber and disheartening, which actually seems to fit the mood in the valley.  But is it the appropriate song?

Music has power.  It can lift you up or tear you down.  It can encourage or discourage.  It can soothe or aggravate.  It all depends on your choice of music.  So I ask you, what kind of song are you singing today?  Your decision can deeply impact your mood and attitude, so please, choose wisely.

O come, let us sing unto the Lord: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.
For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods. - Psalm 95:1-3

No comments: