Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Sometimes We Need the Rain



With the recent weather conditions in my area, the Lord brought an old post to my memory, and I felt led to share it with you again today.  I don't know about you, but I know I needed the reminder.  As you read, keep in mind that this post is over three years old, but oddly enough (or not), it still fits.

We had a pretty decent winter storm come through last weekend. It started off as a wintry mix then turned to snow and then back to a wintry mix. Needless to say, it was quite treacherous outside.

By Sunday afternoon, most of the snow and ice had melted off the roads, but our side yard was still a big sheet of white ice. It was fun slip-sliding my way to the truck so we could go to church Sunday evening. (I looked like Bambi on ice, only in a skirt and boots.) On Monday, the sun came out, and it was a beautiful day with highs in the mid 50's. Still, the snow and ice on the grass in the side yard didn't melt. By Monday night, we could still skate across the yard.

With Tuesday came the rain, and guess what happened. The snow and ice finally melted. Even though the day was cooler than Sunday and Monday had been, the rain was able to do what the sun had not. It got rid of the snow and ice.

Funny, isn't it? If we could plan the weather, how many rainy days would we put in place? Probably not many. After all, rainy days are only good for curling up by the fire and reading a good book. I find it difficult to get anything else done on rainy days. Plus, they make me tired. I spend the days yawning and wondering if it will ever be bedtime. No, I wouldn't plan for many rainy days. I guess it's a good thing that I'm not in charge, for as I was reminded on Tuesday, sometimes we need the rain.

The same can be said for our spiritual walk. If I were in control, my journey would be smooth. No obstacles. No trials. No problems. Just smooth sailing. Sunshine and flowers. Chocolate cake and ice cream. I tend to forget that sometimes my spiritual life needs a good rain shower. Why? Because sometimes the rain can accomplish what the sun cannot. If life were always a bed of roses, I wouldn't grow. I wouldn't strive to be more like Christ. I would be content with my situation and never reach for anything greater. But most of all, I would never learn to trust. Yes, as much as I hate to admit it, sometimes we need to rain.

Umbrella, anyone?

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. - Isaiah 55:8-9

No comments: