Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Putting Words in My Mouth

Writing has to be one of the best jobs in the world.  Not the most profitable, mind you, but the best.  However, it can also be lonely and frustrating.  Writing isn't what I do; it's who I am.  Even when I'm not sitting in front of my computer or pouring over a manuscript, my mind is always processing new thoughts and ideas.  Book ideas.  Chapter titles.  Marketing plans.  Product purchases and sales.  Blog suggestions.  My poor brain never gets a day off.  It's always working.

The problem is, as many writers can attest, that so often it seems like all that time and effort are wasted.  We work and work and work, and unlike every other job, we have little to no income to show for it.  We don't get paid by the hour but by the sale.  And for the writer, especially the reclusive kind, convincing people to buy her books is as big a task as single-handedly moving a mountain.  So, as you can imagine, we have our good days and bad days.  When our minds are focused on the task at hand, we're excited and motivated.  However, when our minds wander beyond that task, we find ourselves discouraged and wondering, "What am I doing wrong?"

For all my fellow writers out there, take heart.  I don't post many devotions specifically for writers, but this one was screaming to be posted, and so, I will follow the Lord's leading.  Writing is a calling of the Lord, and as such, He does not require us to be famous--only faithful.  I was reminded of this as I've read my devotions over the past couple of weeks.  Verses jumped out at me one after another, and while the interpretation of the verses was something entirely different, the application spoke volumes to me.  Are you ready?

The Lord God hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.- Isaiah 50:4  --  It is God who gives me the words to say/write and the knowledge to perform my craft.  He gives me what I need to encourage others, and if that's all I ever accomplish with my writing, it will be worth it.

And I have put my words in thy mouth, and I have covered thee in the shadow of mine hand, that I may plant the heavens, and lay the foundations of the earth, and say unto Zion, Thou art my people.- Isaiah 51:16  --  Again, God will give me the words.  I need only listen and relate them to others.

How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!- Isaiah 52:7  --  When I use my talent to publish good news, teach salvation or encourage those who are weary, I am a living testimony to the Almighty God.  Not only that, but no matter my income, my willingness to follow God's will makes me beautiful in His eyes.

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. - Isaiah 55:11  --  God's words will not return void.  They will accomplish what He wants them to accomplish.  That may or may not translate to sales on our part, but it will more than likely translate to souls.  Which is more important?

Then the Lord put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the Lord said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth. - Jeremiah 1:9  --  God has touched me.  He has seen fit to use me as a willing vessel to spread His words far and wide.  He hasn't commanded me to become a bestseller or to publish the most books.  He has commanded me to speak His message, and not only that, but He has promised to give me what I need to accomplish just that.

Fellow writers, I know that our ministry can sometimes feel daunting, and at times, we feel we're all alone in this battle.  But the truth is we are never alone, and as long as we're doing what God has called us to do, everything will work out according to His plan.  Take heart, and keep writing.  God has big plans for you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a wonderfully encouraging post Dana, certainly puts a writer's thoughts into proper perspective. God bless.

Unknown said...

Dana, your words are aptly spoken, or, in This case, written. God is the one we work for, write for and He will bring the people who need to read our words to our books.

Dana Rongione said...

Thank you, Liana and Barbara. I know sometimes I need God to remind me why I do what I do, so I figured other Christian authors might need the same.