Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, July 21, 2014

Something Worth Singing About

A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song. - Maya Angelou

When I stumbled across this quote the other day, all I could do was read it over and over again.  Since that day, I've not been able to shake the thought from my mind.   It has blessed me, convicted me, bewildered me and encouraged me.

Sometimes in this life, I feel imprisoned by doubts and plagued by uncertainties.  I often bring my burdens to the Lord in the form of questions.  "Lord, how is this going to work out?"  "Lord, why is this happening?"  "Lord, what should I do now?"  "Lord, how am I supposed to pay the bills?"  "Lord, why can't I have what others have?"  "Lord, when will my work bring forth the fruits I desire to see?"  When?  Why?  How?  Where?  What?  Yes, life is full of so many questions.

And often, I convince myself that my happiness depends on having the answer to all my questions.  I tell myself that I would truly be content if only I knew the "hows" and "wheres" of my life's journey.  I don't know about you, but things seem easier when I know the plan.  I like to have a plan.  I'm not a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of girl.  No, I like blueprints, outlines and note cards.  I find security in knowing what to expect and what to be ready for.  And when life doesn't cooperate, I find myself in a pity party that would put Eeyore to shame.

But I'm so thankful for a patient God, who, in the midst of my most recent pity party, took the time to remind me that I have a reason to sing.  No, I may not know all the answers, but I know the One who does.  And that, my friend, is worth singing about!


Yet the Lord will command his lovingkindness in the day time, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life. - Psalm 42:8
 


1 comment:

DNL said...

Blessed to have read this.