Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, July 11, 2014

Seriously? -- Part Two

We're talking about "seriously moments"--those occurrences that are so weird or out of the ordinary that you can't help but shake your head and mutter, "Seriously?"  Yesterday, I told you about poor Mitch getting his collar stuck in the bathroom cabinet handle.  For today, I was planning to tell you about how my computer's antivirus caused a virus in my computer, forcing it to shut down and not boot back up.  However, after having dealt with that problem over the weekend, my computer did the same thing yesterday.  It couldn't have been the antivirus because we uninstalled it; however, I think the culprit was actually another program that I was using or had used both times my computer went crazy.  So, yesterday, I uninstalled that program, and as of right now, the computer seems to be working smoothly.  (Lord, please let it continue to behave.)

Since I'm no longer sure that my antivirus was the source of my problem, I decided to forgo that post, but never fear, there are plenty of other "seriously moments" to choose from, and I'm sure you'll appreciate the one I'll share with you now.

As I've mentioned before, we live in an old house, and as old houses go, there's usually something that needs to be repaired.  A couple of days ago, Jason was working to caulk around the kitchen window in hopes of keeping those pesky ants out of our living space.  Noticing the place where the countertop had come lose, I grabbed the newly purchased super glue and decided to reattach the wayward piece.  I mean, it's gluing down a simple piece of countertop.  How hard could it be?  Never, ever ask that question!

Evidently the heat had thinned the super glue because as soon as I opened it, watery glue exploded from the top and covered my hand.  I hurried to the sink and started scrubbing my hands with soap and water, but it was too late.  When the package says that it dries immediately, it isn't exaggerating!  My hand was hard and crusty.  I continued to scrub with the soap, but that didn't help.  Jason got some of his strong cleaner from work and a loofah sponge and scrubbed vigorously, but still the glue remained (unfortunately, my skin was another story).  Next, I tried fingernail polish remover, which worked a little but not nearly as well as I had hoped.  I spent the rest of the evening picking and peeling that stupid glue from my poor little hand.

Now, the fact of the matter is I should have left that job for Jason.  I am not a "fixer."  Handyman is not in my job description.  God has blessed me with many talents, but household repair of any kind is not one of them.  Somehow, I always seem to make a mess of things.  In short, I become more of a hindrance than a help.  I know this.  I've lived this.  I knew better than to try to fix the countertop, but I did it anyway. . . and I paid the price.

How often do we do the same thing in life?  We know what's right and wrong.  We know the things we're supposed to do and the things we should refrain from doing.  But for some reason, we get it in our heads that this time will be different, and we hurry along to do the very thing we know we shouldn't.  Didn't the apostle Paul have the same problem?   For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. (Romans 7:15)  Let's face it, it's human nature, but that doesn't mean it's right.

Every day offers us a boatload of choices.  Do or don't do.  (Whoa, I just had a flashback to Yoda,  "Do or do not; there is no try.")  And actually, he's right.  We don't have to try to do the wrong thing.  It's a choice we make, just as it is to choose to do what's right.  I'm not saying it was necessarily wrong for me to try to fix the countertop (though Jason may disagree), but I'm saying I knew better.  I knew that Dana plus super glue makes a really bad combination.  I had a pretty good idea that I was going to make a mess of things.  But I ignored what I knew and instead did what I wanted.  And look where it got me!

We know right from wrong.  God has given us common sense (though I admit some seem to have received more than others), and He has also given us His Word, which contains clear directions on how to live our lives.  The rest is up to us.  We must make a choice, and that choice will come with its own rewards. . . or punishment.  Just ask me--Sticky Fingers!

No comments: