Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, August 25, 2014

The Recipe of Life


I am an average cook. Nothing bad, but nothing grand. I can cook on the grill, on the stove, in the oven, or even in the crockpot. Most of my meals come out good while others tend to be a bit bland. For the most part, I am happy with my cooking skills, though I'll never be Betty Crocker. One thing I can't do, however, is cook without a recipe. If you want it to resemble food, you'd better let me see the recipe.

I envy my husband. He's one of those "grab it and add it" chefs. A sprinkle of this. A dash of that. How about a little of this? The funny thing is that it always comes out delicious. That's just not fair! I've experimented a few times with the "grab it and add it" process, and let's just say that we had to order pizza on those nights. I just don't seem to have the knack for it.

I wonder, then, why so often in life I try to do things with my own recipe. God has given me a recipe (the Bible) to follow, yet so many times I think I can do better with the "grab it and add it" way. The result? The same as it is in the kitchen. A complete and total disaster. When will I learn? How many more "meals" will I ruin before I give in and follow God's recipe for my life? I pray not many. I don't know if my stomach can handle it. . .and I know my heart can't.

In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths. - Proverbs 3:6


***Excerpt from my upcoming book, Lilting Laments of a Looney Lass***
Coming Soon!

 

No comments: