Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, August 22, 2014

Waltzing With the Mutant Ant

Okay, I'll come right out and say it--I don't like bugs!  I'm scared of them.  I think they're gross.  And just the thought of those creepy critters makes my skin crawl.  That being said, you can imagine my trepidation this morning when a ginormous mutant ant interrupted my shower.  There I was, minding my own business and enjoying the hot water, when out of the folds of the shower curtain marched this mut"ant."  (Understand, this is a really, really big ant.  Don't judge me!!!)  Thankfully, rather than marching further into the shower, he made his way up the wall.  Unfortunately, from there, he crawled onto the ceiling.

Okay, here's the bug rule in my house.  If you can reach the bug and kill it without harm to yourself, by all means, do so.  If you cannot reach the bug, keep your eyes on it at all times lest it disappear and leave you wondering if it's crawling around somewhere on your person.  With the ant on the ceiling, there was no way I could reach it.  So, I kept my eyes on him, which, I might add, was very hard on my neck.  When the ant moved one direction, I moved in the opposite direction.  I was determined that the creepy ant never find himself directly above me lest he lose his footing and fall.  That would have been very ugly for both me and the ant.  (That is quite enough snickering from the peanut gallery!)

But that stupid ant seemed just as determined as I was.  I moved left, and so did he.  I moved right, and he followed.  Back and forth, side to side.  It was like some sort of weird ant waltz.  Realizing that I was not going to be allowed to enjoy my shower, I finished up, turned the water off and stepped out onto the rug.  Would you believe that stupid ant marched himself right over my head once again?  It was only after I left the bathroom that I could escape the frustrating critter.  And now, my neck has a major crick in it!

You know, it seems like a good idea to keep a close eye on the enemy, doesn't it?  After all, as long as you can see him, you know what he's up to.  But that's not really the lesson the Bible teaches, is it?  We are commanded to be watchful, but we are specifically told to keep our eyes on Jesus.  Sure, watching the enemy has its advantages, but it also has its disadvantages.  For one, it consumes our focus and energy.  I was so focused on that stupid ant this morning that I wasn't paying attention to anything else.  It was difficult to complete my task because my focus was elsewhere. 

Secondly, it lulls us into a false sense of security.  We think because we have the devil in our sights that we're unlikely to be hit by his deadly darts, but the fact of the matter is that he's not working alone.  Many times, we're surrounded by his minions, and it's only our focus and dependence on God that will see us through.

Yes, we must pay attention to the spiritual warfare that is talking place around us, but let's not become so focused on the enemy that we see nothing else.  Imagine if I kept my attention on God as well as I did on that crazy ant.  I would never miss a move.  I would always know His location.  I would be aware of His presence at all times.  I would be in step with Him on a daily basis.

Oh, dear friends, I urge you today to follow God's command and look unto Jesus.  He will keep us safe.  He will watch our backs.  And He will even fight our battles if we'll allow Him.  Plus, it's a lot easier on the neck muscles. Trust me, I know!

Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. - Hebrews 12:1-2

No comments: