Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, February 16, 2015

Anytime, Lord! -- Repost

 Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me: O Lord, make haste to help me. - Psalm 40:13

Does this prayer sound familiar?  Does it remind you of any of your own prayers?  It does me.  In fact, I can recall countless prayers that went something like this:  "Dear Lord, I know you're there, and I know you love me.  Since you love me, I know you don't enjoy seeing me suffer.  So, Lord, please end both our misery.  Help me, Lord, and please help me now!"

Evidently, David felt the same way.  But the thing about this verse that makes me downright laugh is the context in which it is placed.  The entire chapter is praise to God for how wonderful He is and how much He had done for David.  That in itself makes this verse seem out of place, but when you compare it to verse one of the same chapter, you'll understand why I get so tickled.

I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. - Psalm 40:1

Do you see the irony?  In verse one, David proclaims, "I waited patiently for the Lord," but then in verse thirteen, he turns around and says, "Lord, hurry up please!"  Does that sound patient to you?  Patient?  No.  Familiar?  Unfortunately, yes.  

You see, in verse twelve, David began focusing on his enemies and his troubles, and within a few short minutes, he had totally lost track of his praise.  He lost his focus, and his mood shifted right along with it.  When he was focused on God, He was praising God and recognizing the hand of God in his life.  But when he was focused on life's trials, that's all he could see.

Isn't it amazing how quickly we can go from patient to panicked, from praising to pitying, from commending to complaining?  All it takes is a small shift in our focus.  And while it's comical to see David's shift so perfectly spelled out in the Psalms, it's not at all funny to see it in my own life.  I don't enjoy seeing how weak my faith is or how easily my mood shifts.  It's convicting, but at the same time, it's a reminder to be on guard.

Stop worrying and hurrying.  God has it under control, and He will bring all things about in His time.  We might as well just sit back and enjoy the ride.

No comments: