Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Is Something Different About You?

A common plot in sci-fi/fantasy shows is that of switched consciousness.  In other words, Person A's consciousness somehow gets stuck in Person B's body, and often vice versa.  It typically makes for very interesting episodes because you have to wonder what's going to happen and how are they going to get back where they belong.

One thing that always puzzles me, though, is the time where no one seems to notice or believe that a consciousness swap has taken place even though it is glaringly obvious (at least to me) that Person A is not acting like himself.  For example, Person A, who is usually kind and gentle, behaves in a brusque, rough manner.  Or Person B, who is allergic to tomatoes, is suddenly sitting down to a huge bowl of pasta, and no one seems to notice.  The mannerisms are different.  The speech is different.  Their entire approach to life is different, yet no one seems to pick up on these differences.

Now, I understand that for the sake of "good television," the lack of observation in these matters is necessary.  It keeps up the suspense and adds to the intrigue.  If the same were to occur in real life (which would be difficult since I'm pretty sure it's impossible), surely people would notice that their loved one or closest friend was not himself/herself.

But that got me thinking (yeah, I know, dangerous territory), if Jesus and I were to "swap bodies," would anybody here on earth notice?  Would my family notice a change in me?  Would my friends see that I was different?  Would I be kinder, gentler, less selfish and more helpful?  Um, I think we all know the answer to that, don't we?

The problem is that, if such an event took place, no one should notice any difference at all.  My actions and attitudes should seem exactly the same.  After all, aren't I supposed to be living a life where Jesus lives through me?  So, if He's already living through me, then there wouldn't be a change if He were to "physically" take over my body, would there?

While this insight is convicting to me, it's also educational.  It has allowed me to see just how much control I've been clinging to and how little I've been surrendering to Jesus.  This train of thought has opened my eyes to some of the changes I need to make in my spiritual walk.  Step one, I guess, can be summed up by Elsa from the movie, Frozen--Let it go!  Let go of the control.  Let go of my own plans and desires.  Let go of the way I think things should be.  After that, things really do get a lot easier, but I must admit, that first step is a doozy!

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. - Romans 12:1-2

No comments: