Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, April 3, 2015

Precious Jesus

I have the best husband in the whole wide world!  He was working split shifts yesterday, so he was home earlier than normal.  In fact, with the crazy and frustrating morning I had had, he actually beat me home.  After I cried on his shoulder for a while and vented my anger and frustration, he asked if there was anything he could do around the house to help me out.  I gave him a list nearly a mile long of things that I had intended to try to get done that day and told him I would be thrilled if he would do any of them.  He set to work.

Not only did he do the dishes and wipe down all the counters, but my precious husband cleaned out the microwave (a task that was WAY overdue) and wiped down the face of all the cabinets (another task that has needed my attention for far too long).  When I was finally able to step away from my computer, I was welcomed into the front part of the house by the clean, refreshing scent of mint and citrus.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the kitchen.  I honestly can't remember the last time it looked so spotless (yes, I'm a horrible housekeeper).  I was overwhelmed by Jason's hard work, but he didn't stop there.  Even though it wasn't on my "to-do" list for the day, he decided to scrub the shower--a task which is extremely difficult for me due to my arthritis and bursitis.  I am still in awe of his goodness to me and his willingness to sacrifice his rest time in order to help me out.  Precious!  There's just no other word for it!

But as sweet and precious as Jason's actions were, they still don't hold a candle to what my Lord did for me around two thousand years ago.  Like Jason, my sweet Jesus went above and beyond all expectations, but He sacrificed so much more than a few hours of rest.  He sacrificed His very life.  He gave up the fellowship with His Father.  He traded His riches for rags, all because of love.  Before I was even born, Jesus knew who I would be.  He knew how I would act and how many times I would fail him, yet He still walked up that long, lonely road to Golgotha proclaiming, "Yes, Father, I'll die for her.  She's worth it!"

Oh, I can't hold back the tears.  As much as I want to, I simply cannot understand such love and grace.  What did He see in me that He felt was worth dying for?  How could He love me so much when He knew how much I would doubt Him?  Am I really worth that much pain and suffering?  Evidently, I am, and so are you.

Because of his love for me, Jason took on a task that was difficult for me.  Jesus, however, took on a task that was impossible for me.  There is no way that I could ever make it to Heaven on my own.  I needed a Savior.  I needed Someone to pay the price that I could never afford.  And He did so, willingly.  Gladly, even.  Precious!  No, there's just no other word for it!

Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. - I John 3:16

No comments: