Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, July 3, 2015

I'm Sorry, Did You Say Something?

May I be honest with you?  I have been distracted this past week and have found it difficult to perform the most ordinary tasks.  The housework has been neglected.  E-mails have gone unanswered.  Even my daily blog writings have seemed like a chore where they are normally a pleasure.  It is as if everything in my life has been out of sorts except for one area:  my latest novel.
Yes, the source of my utter distraction is my latest writing project.  In short, I am caught up in the story I've created.

When I lie down at night, my mind swirls about with new ideas and interesting twists I can add to my story.  As I go through the day, trying to concentrate on other tasks, my thoughts are drawn to new possibilities for my detective team.  And with this particular book being part of a series, my mind is already plotting out the next few books in the series so that I can make sure I have somewhere to go with the story at the end of this current book.  It is a long, drawn-out process, but I love every minute of it.

What I don't love is that once I get into "book-writing mode," it's difficult for me to think about anything else.  Everything else seems to become a blur in the background.  The tasks are there, calling for my attention, but I can't seem to hear.  I am completely and totally focused on my book.  And, to a degree, that sort of focus is commendable, but it can also be costly. . . especially if the focus is on a not-so-worthy goal.

How often do we become so focused on the negative circumstances in our lives that everything else becomes a blur in the background?  The other things, including our many blessings, are there, calling for our attention, but we can't seem to hear them.  We are completely and totally focused on our problems.  It's all we see when we look around us.  It's all we can think about when we lie in bed at night.  It permeates every fiber of our being and dictates our every attitude and action.  In short, we become caught up in the misery we created.

While we are not responsible for every circumstance that comes our way, we are responsible for our attitudes and actions concerning those circumstances.  We can choose to allow ourselves to become solely focused on our problems, or we can take the extra effort and look beyond our circumstances to the One who is in control of it all.  If we feel we must be solely focused on one thing, let God be that one thing!

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; - Ephesians 5:19-20

No comments: