Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, July 20, 2015

Who's Waiting?

If you've followed my writings for very long at all, you'll know by now that I despise waiting.  I don't like waiting for my computer to boot up in the morning.  I don't like waiting in traffic or in the line at the grocery store.  I don't like waiting for the weekly paycheck so that I can pay all the bills.  But most of all, I have a hard time waiting on the Lord.  After all, I know exactly how I want things to work out in my life, so why can't I just have all those good things now?  Why wait?

Fortunately, I have matured a bit in my spiritual walk, and while I still get antsy during waiting periods, I now understand that they have a purpose.  God's timing is perfect, and when I try to rush that, I only make a mess of things.  God, in His infinite love and wisdom, knows exactly what I need and when I need it.  In fact, He knows even better than I do, so it benefits me to wait on Him and His timing.

Only recently, however, did it come to my realization that I'm not the only one waiting.  Check out this awesome verse: And therefore will the Lord wait, that he may be gracious unto you, and therefore will he be exalted, that he may have mercy upon you: for the Lord is a God of judgment: blessed are all they that wait for him. (Isaiah 30:18)

Have you ever bought a present for someone for a special occasion such as a birthday, anniversary or Christmas?  Sure, we all have.  Now, have you ever given that person their present early because you simply couldn't wait any longer to give it to them?  Come on, admit it.  I know I'm not the only one who does that.  The fact is that we're so excited about our gift and so looking forward to the look of joy and appreciation on the recipient's face that we simply can't wait.  Don't you think our heavenly Father feels the same way?  Check out these verses:

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. - James 1:17

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? - Matthew 7:11

Think about it.  God knows exactly what He has in store for us.  He knows the wonder and perfection of it all.  The things in our future that are all for our good.  Don't you know He wants to give them all to us now, especially during times when we're so discouraged and downcast?  Don't you think He would love to pour out all those blessings He has in store for us, if nothing else, to see us smile once again?

So, why doesn't He?  If you'll look back at Isaiah 30:18, the Bible tells us why:  "that he may be gracious unto you."  Good parents understand that they are not doing their children any favors by giving them everything they want when they want it.  They understand that the children need to grow and mature before receiving some of the things that the parents intended to give them all along.  They understand the importance of waiting for the right timing.  And God, as the perfect parent, understands that as well.  As much as He longs for us to have the things that we want, He longs even more that we grow into the spiritual adults He desires for us to be.  And that means that not only do we have to wait to get those things but He has to wait to give them too.

So, the next time you find yourself in a period of waiting, just remember, you're not alone.  God is waiting right alongside you, but His waiting is all part of his grace and mercy toward you.  He knows you'll be much better off if He waits.  And in the end, you'll be glad He did!  After all, waiting is a gift. . . a gift of grace.

No comments: