Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, November 30, 2015

The Power of a Single Word

This morning as I worked around the house, I was singing along with one of my new favorite songs.  Yes, the first time I heard this particular song, I knew it would quickly become a favorite and that it wouldn't take me long to memorize the words to it. . . at least, most of the words.  One particular word keeps giving me trouble.  The last phrase of the chorus states, "It's quite a valley, but nothing He won't bring you through."  For some reason, I always want to sing, "but nothing He won't see you through."

Other than being frustrated each time I say the wrong thing, I didn't see the slip up as a big deal.  After all, "see you through" and "bring you through" mean the same thing. . . or do they?  As I thought about it this morning, I realized that the songwriters, whether intentionally or not, chose very wisely when they opted for the word "bring" instead of "see."  And when you think about the difference between the words, a great song transforms into an awesome song.

To see something through implies taking care of something from a distance.  Yes, the one doing the overseeing is involved but not in a hands-on way.  He's there.  He's watching.  He knows what's happening and is in control of the outcome.  And while that does sound like God, it pales in comparison to the meaning of the authors' choice of words.

To bring something says that it is with you.  If you bring a bottle of water, that means the bottle is with you, in your possession.  It is an indication that the bringer and the item brought are in close proximity to one another--very close proximity.  Now that sounds more like God!

It's comforting to know that God is up in Heaven looking down on me.  It's good to know that He knows my every move, every care and every valley.  It's encouraging to know that from that "bird's eye view," He can direct me in the paths I should take and turns I should make.  But what's even more encouraging is the thought that He's in the valley with me.  He's not just seeing me through; He's bringing me through.  Leading and guiding, not just with words, but with His comforting hand placed gently on my back, steering me in the way I should go.  He is both before me and behind me, and with His hand in mine, He will bring me through every obstacle, every valley.

As a writer, I often find myself staring off in the distance searching for the perfect word.  How do I say it?  What will have the biggest impact?  How do I describe the indescribable?  It's a daunting task, but this morning I was reminded just how important a single word can be, and with that reminder, I am committed more than ever to allowing God to speak through me rather than trying to find the right words on my own.

I don't know what you may be facing today.  You may be in the valley, or you may be singing praises on the mountain top.  Either way, take comfort in the fact that God is with you.  He will never leave you or forsake you.  Not when the way gets tough.  Not when the path grows dim.  Not when the days grow long or the body grows weak.  He is with us, and He is bringing us through.

Hand in hand with Jesus.  What better way to draw this year to a close!

Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. - Deuteronomy 31:6


No comments: