Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Are You Human?

I have another confession to make:  I have a tendency to push myself too hard.  With so many things needing to be done each and every day, I place upon myself the role of Wonder Woman and get to work.  Unfortunately, before the day is halfway done, I find myself exhausted, grouchy and wondering how everyone else can do it all when I can't.  The really bad news is that this prolonged attitude has led to a battle with extreme adrenal fatigue.  Basically, I've pushed my body so long that my body is now starting to push back, and let me tell you, it doesn't play nice.

Because of this newer development in my health, my body now requires more rest, less stress, more frequent meals and moderate exercise.  This means extra time to fix more meals, take short naps and find new ways to relax my mind and body.  Extra time?  Is there any such thing?  Nothing else in my life has changed.  None of the other demands have stepped aside and said, "Oh, I'm sorry.  I see you're already overwhelmed.  I'll take care of myself for a while."  Nope!  It's not happening!  So, the to-do list is greater while both the energy and time are less.

In the beginning, this whole new stress relief lifestyle seemed like a real pain in the you know what, but as time progresses, I'm realizing that I do feel better.  In fact, it's kind of nice.  And when I read a certain paragraph in Holley Gerth's book, You're Made for a God-Sized Dream, I realized that God can still use me just as I am.  Look what she had to say:

God can and will accomplish all he wants to do in and through you.  Your limitations won't prevent that--but pushing yourself to the point of burnout just might.  Take care of yourself.  Respect what you need.  Accept being human.

Suddenly, it makes sense.  God knows my limitations even better than I do.  He knows that I require more rest than others.  He knows how often I need to eat to be at optimal efficiency.  He knows about my multitude of aches, pains and joint troubles.  And because He knows all of these things, He doesn't expect me to push myself beyond those limitations.  He accepts them, so why can't I?  As Holley Gerth so expertly stated, God can use me despite my limitations, but when I push myself to the point of burnout, I'm of no use to anyone.

I have no doubt that your to-do list is just as long as mine, if not longer.  But may I urge you to take care of yourself.  Acknowledge and accept your limitations.  They don't make you weak or inferior.  They make you human.  God can still use you no matter how many limitations you feel you may have, but once you reach the point of ultimate exhaustion, there's not much God can do with you.  Remember Elijah after the big showdown with the prophets of Baal.  He ran for his life, hid in the caves and asked God to let him die.  Elijah had reached a period of extreme exhaustion, and until he was revived, God could not use him.  Instead, God allowed his angels to minister to Elijah, providing him with food and protection so that he could rest peacefully.  Elijah had reached his limit, and God knew it.  We must be careful not to allow the same to happen to us.

Take it easy.  Rest more.  Stress less.  And somehow, through God's grace, He'll still accomplish His will in and through you, and the best part is that you won't be too exhausted to appreciate it.

For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust. - Psalm 103:14

No comments: