Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Leave It Alone!

Those of you who have followed my blog any length of time know that I am not the world's greatest cook.  Yes, I can put meals together.  In fact, I do most of the cooking in our household, but I don't expect to win any prizes for my cuisine.  The truth is that, when it comes to cooking, I like to keep things simple.  I am not a daring risk taker or an adventurous sort when it comes to the kitchen.  So, I prepare simple meals in a simple way and thank the Lord for a husband who will eat just about anything (love you, honey).

If I had to pinpoint my greatest weakness in the kitchen, I would say it would be my inability to leave things alone and let them cook.  You know, like when you're grilling.  The "experts" say that, after preparing your meat of choice, you should throw it on the hot grill (or in a hot pan) and leave it alone until that side is done.  Then, and only then, should you flip the meat.

Well, sure, that sounds logical, but may I ask a stupid question?  How will I know if that side is done if I don't flip it over and look?  Somehow, I am still missing this piece of the equation.  So, when I feel the meat has been on long enough, I flip it.  Then I flip it again and again and again until I'm satisfied that both sides are cooked to perfection.

The only problem is that my constant flipping leads to other issues.  First off, my meat has a tendency to fall apart after about my third flip.  Evidently, it prefers the "single flip method" as well.  Secondly, the meat is prone to become very dry after its whirlwind affair on the grill or in the frying pan.  In short, my inability to leave the meat alone creates a mess in the kitchen and a frown on my face.   Hmm, who knew?

Evidently, God does because I often find Him telling me the same thing.  Not in reference to cooking meat, mind you, but in many other areas of my life.  I look at how things are progressing, and when I feel I've waited long enough, I grab a "spatula" and get ready to stir things up.  It's then that I hear the Savior gently whispering, "No, Dana, just leave it alone.  I'll take care of it."  "But God," I argue, "I need to check on it.  I need to see what's happening."  Again, that still, small voice tugs at my heart, "No, child, you only need to trust me.  I've got this.  I promise."

And you know what?  He does.  He's not going to ruin it.  He knows exactly what He's doing, and He knows that if I have my way, I'm going to get in there and cause things to fall apart (just like my poor meat).  So, He urges me to leave the "cooking of life" in His hands.

Come to think of it, I like that plan.  I just remembered that I hate cooking!

For thus saith the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength: and ye would not. - Isaiah 30:15

No comments: