Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Are We There Yet?

When it comes to long road trips, I'm worse than any child.  "I'm hungry."  "I have to go to the bathroom."  And, of course, "Are we there yet?"  I can read the road signs.  I recognize the landmarks.  I know that the 600-mile journey still has a long way to go, but I can't keep my groans and complaints at bay.  I want to be there!  I want to reach my destination.  And, oh, how I long to get out of the car!  Fortunately, God has blessed my dear husband, Jason, with extreme patience.

Our spiritual journey can be equally tiring and frustrating.  We understand that there's joy in the journey, but at the same time, we long to reach our destination.  We grow weary of the miles.  We become uncomfortable and achy.  And we often find ourselves looking up to Heaven and crying, "Are we there yet?"

Not yet, but soon, dear friends.  Yes, I honestly believe that the Lord is coming back VERY soon to gather His children, and in that glorious moment, our journey will be over yet really just beginning.  No more fatigue.  No more worn and frail bodies.  No more wounded spirits.  No more trials and heartaches.  Just peace and joy forevermore.  Now that's a destination!

As we neared the end of our drive home on Monday, we passed by a mileage sign on the Interstate, and I said, "That's such a beautiful sign."  Jason looked at me as if I had lost my mind and asked, "What sign?"  I smiled.  "The one that said that Greenville is less than 30 miles away."  The sign was plain and actually quite boring, but the message it conveyed to me was wonderful--I was almost home!

As we watch the news and see the turmoil of the world around us, let us view it as signs of the times. The Bible tells us that in the last days, perilous times will come.  Well, we're certainly living in perilous times, so you know what that means--we're almost home.  I know things look dark and gloomy, but in this, we can take comfort.  The journey's end is drawing nigh, and the destination to come is more than we can possibly imagine.

I pray you're ready for the trip!

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. - Titus 2:11-14

No comments: