Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Get Out of God's Way! - Repost

On Sunday morning, I taught a lesson on waiting.  Yesterday, I wrote a blog article entitled, "But I'm Tired of Waiting."  And right after I wrote the article, guess what I did?  I put my own personal plan into action instead of waiting, and the worst part is that the connection didn't click until I was talking to Jason about it last night.

You see, last January, I sent one of my best books yet (in my opinion) to a publisher. According to their website, the process to determine whether or not they would decide to publish my book was supposed to take three to six months.  In early October, I sent an e-mail requesting the status of the manuscript since the deadline of six months had come and gone.  I received a response that, due to an overwhelming number of manuscripts, the process was running a little slower than usual and that they hoped to be caught up by the end of the month.  I'm still waiting to hear from them.

So, as the book crossed my mind yesterday, I decided to send another e-mail.  Yes, I realized I may be shooting myself in the foot by constantly pestering the publisher, but it's been a year, and if they're not going to publish my book, I want to get it into the hands of someone who will.  So, I sent the e-mail.  I still haven't received a response.  And at this point, I'm not sure that I will.  Why couldn't I just be patient?  Why couldn't I be content to wait for their response?  After all, if God wants them to publish my book, then it will happen.  Why did I have to "help God out" once again?

I'm just like my little beagle, Tippy, whom we've nicknamed "Crumb Hunter."  If there is food to be found, that dog will find it.  Her hearing is gone.  Her eyesight is dimming.  But that sniffer works wonderfully!  Any time we are working in the kitchen, Tippy has to be right there, underfoot.   The entire time I work in the kitchen, her nose is to the floor as she searches for crumbs.

Now, please understand that I'm not saying I'm like my beagle in that I search for crumbs on the floor.  No, it's not that (unless it's chocolate crumbs, just kidding).  It's the fact that every time I go to take a step, she's in the way.  Dinner preparation is a dance as I struggle to get from the refrigerator to the counter to the stove, all while circling around the Crumb Hunter.  I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally kicked or stepped on her because she was totally underfoot.  You'd think she'd get the point and get out of the way, but she doesn't.

And  unfortunately, I don't seem to be doing much better.  I thought I was.  I felt like I was growing.  I've been feeling more at ease and less stressed.  I've been focusing more on God's goodness rather than life's harshness.  And I thought I was working within God's timing, but my actions yesterday showed me that I still have a long way to go.

The problem with impatience is that, not only is it a sin, but it also puts us directly in God's way.  He is trying to work through us, and we decide to get underfoot and help out.  It doesn't help!  Not at all!  If anything, it makes the entire process take longer because God has to clean up our mess before He can continue the work He was doing to begin with.

Oh, dear friend, no matter what you're waiting on today, don't grow impatient.  Wait for God.  His timing is perfect.  He will accomplish what He has set out to do, and He'll have a much easier time of it if we'll stay in His will and out of His way!

I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope. My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning. - Psalm 130:5-6
SaveSave

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen, waiting leads us to lean on God; to be sensitive in listening to Him. God is a God of reality, our reality, and waiting allows God to bring about one event so another can happen. Our issues are no issues for God, so don’t go and pass up His opportunity to work in your waiting sister. May you be blessed with all the riches of His glory!
-in and with the love of Christ.

Dana Rongione said...

Thank you, David. You took the words right out of my mouth!