Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Where's the Fire?

If you’ve been following the news at all, you’re aware of the fires ravaging the Southeast. Carelessness, vandalism and severe drought have created a state of emergency in at least four states. Firefighters are working day and night to keep the raging fires under control, but thus far, they’ve been unable to keep it from spreading. The fires are literally jumping from place to place, making it nearly impossible to determine where they will strike next. Living in one of the affected areas, I have witnessed the destruction and ferocity of these endless flames. It’s terrifying and fascinating all at the same time.

 I watched the news report as they attempted to explain how the fires could leap from one place to another, and I found myself wondering if spiritual fires behave in the same way, and if so, why aren’t we seeing an outbreak of revival? As I look around at the churches and so-called Christians of today, I think I have my answer. It seems to me that the fires are not jumping and spreading because there are so few to begin with. Yes, as sad as this statement is, there are few who seem to really be on fire for God anymore.

I’m not saying that there aren’t Christians in the world because I know there are. And I am not saying that there aren’t any who would give their lives for Christ because we’ve witnessed it.   But in a world of over 7 million people – 2 million of which claim to be Christians – there is little evidence of spiritual wildfires. Too many, it seems, are content to do their thing, attend the occasional church service and do God a favor by reading His word every once in a while. Then there are those who serve faithfully in His house week after week, but knowing my own tendency to grow weary in well doing, I have to wonder how many are serving because of the fire in their hearts as opposed to the obligations on their to-do list.

May I remind you that time is short? The signs of the times are all around us, and I believe that Jesus is coming back very soon. When He does, what will he find? Will He see His bride on fire for him, or will He return to a world of ho-hum Christians going about their days and barely giving Him a moment’s thought? The question is a sobering one, and the answer is up to us. I firmly believe that if we, as Christians, were to get our hearts on fire for the Lord as they should be, it wouldn’t be long before the fire spread to others. The fire doesn’t have to end with us, but it must begin with us.  As John Wesley put it, “Get on fire for God, and men will come and see you burn.”

Are you on fire for God today?


 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. - Revelation 3:15-16

No comments: