Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, February 10, 2017

Hakuna Matata

God has a sense of humor, and He uses some of the strangest things to get my attention.  As I was running errands yesterday morning, I flipped on the radio, but instead of music, the DJ was talking about Hakuna Matata, which means "no worries."  Odd topic, I know, but I listened in anyway, but with all the chaos of the day, the issue was soon forgotten.

Wednesday night at church, one of the men got up to sing, and it was the strangest thing.  He started singing one song, then stopped and said, "No, the Lord wants me to sing this other song."  So, he began again, this time singing, I Won't Have To Worry Anymore.  Immediately, the phrase "Hakuna Matata" came back to mind, and I began to giggle.  Little did I know that God wasn't finished yet.

Our pastor preached an excellent sermon on love, and as the service was dismissed, he began walking toward the back door to shake hands with everyone as they left.  As he walked, he jokingly sang out loud, "Can you feel the love tonight?"  That's one of the main songs from The Lion King, the same movie from which I know Hakuna Matata.  Coincidence?  Hardly!

Here's the thing.  Over the course of the past few days, I've found out that a dear friend has shingles, a woman who is like a grandmother to me is battling pancreatitis, a man who was like a grandfather to me when I was young passed away,  women whom I claim as two of many moms are battling cancer and the fear and discouragement that accompany it.  Seriously, it's like every day there's another wave of bad news, and the thought that the Lord lays on my heart over and over again is "no worries"?

If nothing else, this proves that God's ways are not my ways and His thoughts are not my thoughts.  In the midst of all this sorrow, it would seem I have a lot to worry about.  I fear for these who are suffering.  I sorrow with them.  I worry about their families or those they've left behind.  No worries? Really?  Is that even possible?

Honestly, yes, it is, but let me tell you, it is NOT easy.  The only way we can be worry-free in this life is if we are fully surrendered to God.  That means we've given Him every thought, attitude and care.  It's not ours to deal with any longer, so worry is pointless.  What we don't seem to get is that whether we're surrendered to God or not, worry is still vain.  It doesn't solve anything.  It doesn't help the situation or the people involved, and it certainly doesn't make things better for us.  All it does is sap us of strength that we need to face the adversities of life.  In a sense, we create a lot of our own worry problems because we've robbed ourselves of the resources with which to handle the situation.  All because we wouldn't simply give it God.

I have no idea what you may be facing today.  Perhaps, like my situation, bad news seem to be piling up all around you.  You feel like giving in, and you're discouraged beyond belief.  May I share with you these two words:  Hakuna Matata.  Not that I'm saying that there aren't things to worry about but rather that you need not worry about them.  Give them to God.  Let them go.  Get them off your mind and heart and give yourself a break from the worry and grief.  It will destroy you if you're not careful.  Instead, meditate on these two words:  no worries, and then put that thought into practice.  I'm not saying it will be easy, but if we want to serve God and live life to the fullest as He intended for us to do, it is a necessity.

Hakuna Matata, my friends!  God's in control!

Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. - I Peter 5:7


SaveSave

No comments: