Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, February 9, 2017

When Trust Doesn't Come Easy -- A Repost


Writing a book is easy. A random thought or idea enters your mind. Before long, that single thought has blossomed into a series of thoughts. One day at a time, you commit to putting those thoughts onto paper (or computer). Voila! You've written a book. Yes, writing a book is easy.

Marketing a book? Now, that's a different story entirely. Shameless plugs. Advertisements. Postcards. Brochures. E-mails. Press releases. Reviews and testimonials. Speaking engagements. Media contacts. Begging and pleading for someone to please buy your book! No, marketing a book is anything but easy.

I find similar contrasts in my Christian life. When I asked Jesus to save me, it was easy. When I heard His voice calling and I realized what I needed, I had no problem turning my life over to Him. And because of His promises throughout the Bible, I know that there is nothing I can ever do to lose that precious gift of eternal life that He has given me. It's easy for me to trust in Jesus for my salvation.

However, trusting Him in this life for day-to-day needs is anything but easy. I don't know why it is that I think the same God who is capable of giving me eternal life is incapable of taking care of my life here on earth. Salvation? Sure, the Lord can handle that. Financial problems? Hmm, He may need my help on that one. It makes no sense, yet I find myself in that mindset day after day. My mouth may not utter the words, "Lord, I don't think you can handle this," but my actions say it quite loudly.

I'm am learning very quickly that marketing, while unpleasant and difficult, is necessary. If I want to get my books into the hands of the people, I have to find ways to let them know they are available. It's hard. It's frustrating. It's intimidating. But it's also important.

Along the same lines, everyday trust in Christ is a necessity for the Christian life. It's not easy. In fact, sometimes it's a lot of hard work, but it, too, is important. It's a vital part of our Christian growth, and without it, we're simply spinning our wheels. How can we tell others about the faithfulness of God if we're not acting like we believe it ourselves? No, the trust may not come easily, but it must come!

Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. - Isaiah 12:2

2 comments:

JT said...

Living a Christian life is not easy. Very good post. God bless you.

Dana Rongione said...

No, JT, it's not easy, but I'm so thankful His grace is sufficient. Thanks for your kinds words!