Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, March 27, 2017

Are You Serious?

I'm back from my week of rest and restoration, and boy, have I learned a lot!  Yes, I received an education during my break.  Let me explain.  A couple of weeks ago, I felt the Lord impressing on me to write a book about dealing with anxiety and depression the Bible way.  Never in my life have I felt so compelled to write a book (or anything else for that matter), but there was one problem--I didn't have the answers!  I am one of those who suffers from frequent bouts of anxiety and depression.  How in the world did God expect me to write about the solution to these joy-suckers when I hadn't found the answer myself?  So, I told the Lord as much.  My prayer was basically this, "Lord, I feel you want me to write this book, and I know many people need the help that could be offered here.  But, you understand I don't have the answers, so if you want me to write it, you'll have to give me the words."  And, oh my goodness, have the words been pouring in!

I have spent the last week reading, meditating and praying, and God has opened my eyes to some wonderful things.  I don't think I'm quite ready to write the book yet, but over the next couple of weeks, I'll probably be sharing with you some of the things I've learned.  Today, I'd like to kick off the education with a topic that may stomp on a few toes, but the truth is the truth, and I feel compelled to tell it like it is.

Do you have a desire?  Would you like to lose weight, have more energy, be healthier, have more money, get out of debt, have a better job or whatever?  If we're honest, I think we all have dreams and goals about a "better" something.  But here's the real question, are we serious about what we say we want?  Do our actions and habits reflect our goals and dreams?

Here are a few examples:

If you want to lose weight, what steps have you taken to achieve this aim?  Have you traded your sodas for water?  Have you begun to exercise?  Are you meals made up of healthy foods?

If you want to save money, what steps have you taken?  Are you still eating out for lunch five days a week instead of taking your lunch to work?  Do you still make weekly trips to the mall?  Do you spend extra money on brand names when generic would do just fine?

If you want to grow closer to the Lord, what are you doing to get there?  Are you spending time in the Word?  Are you praying regularly?  Are you attending church faithfully?

Here's the thing, when we say we want something, we need to determine in our hearts exactly how much we want it.  How serious are we?  Most times, I think we're serious enough to complain about it but not enough to take action.  If we could have an instant fix, well, sign us up, but if we actually have to work for it, then, maybe not.  Are you ready for this?  If we're not serious enough about the changes we wish to see to take action to achieve them, then we need to just be quiet about it and let it go.  No more whining and complaining!  If it's important enough to complain about, then it's important enough to act on.  So, if we're not willing to work, then we need to just keep our mouths shut and accept things as they are.  There are no instant fixes!  Our problems didn't arrive instantaneously, and the solutions won't either.  They require time and effort.

So, my question for you today is, are you serious?  If you're seeking changes in your life, are you determined to do what you can to see them come to fruition?  Yes, I understand that there are some situations and circumstances that we have no control over, but that's not what I'm talking about.  I'm speaking of daily choices and habits that we do control that could make or break our goals.  We can choose a salad over a double cheeseburger and fries.  We can choose to read our Bible first thing in the morning instead of the daily news.  We can opt to cut out the cable TV and spend the extra time playing board games with the family.  There are many things we CAN DO to reach our goals, but are we willing to do them?  That is the question!

Serious people see serious results.  Wishy-washy people. . .well, you can figure it out.  Which one are you?

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. - Galatians 6:7

2 comments:

Glen Follweiter said...

Thanks Dana. You are just too straight forward No jiggle room. Darn I guess I will just have to be serious about what I want changed in my life. God is certainly using you. Funny I deal with anxiety and depression as well. But God has used it for the good. Thanks for your honesty.
Blessing to you and your husband
Glen

Dana Rongione said...

Sorry about the toe-stomping, Glen, but sometimes the truth hurts. I'm flat-footed, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's because I was born that way or because the Lord has stomped on my toes so much through the years that He's flattened them out. LOL Either way, I'd still rather have the truth, and it seems to me that you feel the same way. May God bless you as you strive to serve Him!