Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Cat and Dog Theology

I am a dog person, always have been. Growing up, we had a few cats, but if I'm honest, my favorite cat was the one who acted the most like a dog. Simba, my Siamese/bobtail, did all the things dogs do.  He drank from the toilet, loved to play outside and greeted me at the door each day after school. I loved that cat; the others, well, they were fine.

When Jason and I first got married, we had a cat that had been passed down to us by my sister. When my niece was born, it became obvious that she and Avonlea, the cat, did not get along. After living with Avonlea for a while, I understood, for she didn't get along with me either. If I had to guess, I would say she was demon-possessed (I'm not kidding; it was that bad!). That cat was an absolute terror. She was high and mighty and wanted her way or else. Even when we got our first dog, Tessa, Avonlea made certain that everyone (including the newcomer) understood that she was the boss. Overall, that seems to be the cat way.

That's the difference between dogs and cats. Cats are all about pleasing themselves. They want to be waited on, petted when they feel like it, left alone when they don't. They want every need met without having to expend any energy of their own. Not only do they think they're the boss, but most of them act as if they are God.

Dogs, on the other hand, are all about serving their master. They greet their owners eagerly at the door, so excited to see us. They offer love, kisses and snuggly attention. They revel in our care of them and love us unconditionally, even when we accidentally step on their tail or forget to pick up their favorite treat at the grocery store. Dogs don't see themselves as God but they sure treat their owners as God. For the most part, they are selfless, always wanting to please the master.

My question for us today is, are we living out a cat or dog theology? Is our life all about us? Do we seek only to serve and please ourselves, or is our main goal to glorify our Master?  I don't know about you, but I'd much rather be a dog, even when life is "ruff" (sorry, but you knew it was coming, didn't you?).

So, let's go out today and live a life that is all about pleasing our Master.  It's not about us; it's all about Him!

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. - Matthew 5:26

1 comment:

Glen Follweiter said...

Great comparison Dana. Why on earth did God create cats? Dogs I can see but cats (well I guess they are good mousers). Yes may we be God's best friend 😊🐕🐶