Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

From Whence Cometh My Help, Part Five (Repost)

Wonder Woman/Superman Complex Test:

Question #5 - Have you ever damaged yourself or something else in your attempt to act alone?

Oh boy!  I can recall several hikes where I charged ahead, instead of allowing Jason to take the lead, and ended up on my rear and in great pain.  I slipped on a rock.  I tripped over a root.  A stone crumbled or rolled from underneath my foot.  I stepped in a hole.  Trust me, I've done them all.  But typically only when I wander into uncharted territory.

Then, of course, there are the times I've dropped and broken something because it was too heavy for me to carry.  Or the time I put a hole in the wall while trying to hammer in a small nail to hang a picture.  Oh, and I cannot forget the time I set the vacuum cleaner on fire while trying to vacuum up the mess around the wood stove (evidently, there were some hot embers in the mix).

All of these incidents could have been avoided if only I had asked or waited for help.  But I didn't want to ask, and I had grown tired of waiting.  So, I decided to take matters into my own hands.  And I made a mess.

I wish I could say that my fumbles ended there, but I'm afraid they've breached into my spiritual life as well.  Headstrong in my abilities and weary of waiting on God to make His move, I've charged ahead only to find myself on my backside.  I've taken matters into my own hands only to discover that I ended up with a bigger mess than I had begun with.  I've hurt myself.  I've damaged my testimony.  I've hurt others.  And all because I wanted things done my way and in my timing.

Oh, Lord, will we ever learn?

Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord. - Psalm 27:14

No comments: