Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, May 25, 2017

From Whence Cometh My Help? - Part Two (Repost)

A couple of days ago, I introduced you to the Wonder Woman/Superman Complex and asked you the first question to help you determine whether or not you suffer from this serious illness.  If you missed that post, you can read it here.  Today, I'd like to move right into the next question.  Are you ready?


Wonder Woman/Superman Complex Test:

Question #2 - Do you ever perform a task unaided because you feel it will only be done correctly if you do it?

Gulp!  I have to be honest--this one hit me right between the eyes.  I'm a bit of a power freak.  Not because I like the praise or the glory, but because I like things to be done right.  I am of the mindset that if you're going to do something, you ought to do it to the best of your ability.  Well, actually, that's not entirely accurate.  I'm afraid it goes beyond that.  It's more like this:  if you're going to do something, you ought to do it to the best of MY ability. . . and in the way I would do it. . . and to my precise specifications. . . and in my time frame. . . and. . . and. . .and.  Do you see the problem?  I often don't ask for help because I want things done a specific way, and I know that someone else won't do it that way, so I'd just rather do it myself.

The big problem is that this attitude towards other people tends to spill over into my relationship with God.  I often don't ask God for help because I fear the help He gives won't be the kind I want.  I want Him to work things out my way and in my timeframe.  If He's not willing to do that, then I go off and try to do things myself.  Rather than wait for His perfect will, I settle for what I think is best at the time.  I do things my way.

Notice the pride again?  Just like in the first question, pride is the root here.  It's all about what I want and what I think should be done.  Me, me, me.  What about my needs?  My desires?  My ambitions?  What about me?  Sounds a bit like a toddler's tantrum, doesn't it?  Unfortunately, that's how we often act--like spoiled, selfish brats!

Are you feeling overwhelmed today because you refuse to let go of tasks that could be delegated to others?  Are you feeling weighed down by situations that you refuse to hand over to God because you fear He won't work things out according to your plan?  If so, I urge you to let go.  Release those burdens.  Share those responsibilities.  Lean on others for support, but more importantly, lean on God and trust that He will take care of you.  Get your eyes off of yourself for a little while and take a look around you.  You may be amazed at what you see!

 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. - I Peter 5:6-7

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This scripture comes to mind:

Luke 10:41-42 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Great series, Dana! Good choice to share it again!

Dana Rongione said...

Thanks, Peter. I know I certainly needed the reminder.