Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Who Do You Think I Am? - Our Confidence


By terrible things in righteousness wilt thou answer us, O God of our salvation; who art the confidence of all the ends of the earth, and of them that are afar off upon the sea: - Psalm 65:5

God is our confidence.  In Him, we can be assured.  Why?  The rest of the chapter sheds some light on that.  If we read on, we'll see how God cares for His creation.  He sends rain (which we are experiencing this week in my neck of the woods) to water the earth and aid the plants in their growth.  He calms the winds and waves.  He cares for the crops and provides food for His children and the animals.  He rules the day and night with rejoicing.  Yes, the heavens declare the glory of God.

So, what does that have to do with us?  How does that portray God as our confidence?  It's quite simple.  If God can do all that (and He can), don't you think He can take care of your problem no matter how big it is?  He made all things and controls all things.  There is nothing so small that it escapes His notice and nothing so great that it surpasses His power.  He is God!  He spoke, and the world came into being.  He spoke to the winds and waves, and they calmed.  Surely, we can be confident that His words can calm our troubled souls and create a solution to our problem.  He has proven Himself faithful time and again; therefore, we can place our confidence in Him.

But more than that, we have access to Him as our confidence, meaning when we face our trials, we don't cower or tremble in fear.  Instead, we stand fast.  We look that giant right in the eye and boldly say, "I'm not afraid of you.  With God on my side, I can't lose!"  God Himself becomes the confidence we need to face any situation.  Because we trust Him, we do not need to fear.  God's got this—no matter what "this" is.  The rest of creation has no trouble having confidence in God.  Why should we be any different?

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?...Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident. - Psalm 27:1,3

No comments: