Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Who Do You Think I Am? - Our Song


The Lord is my strength and song, and is become my salvation. - Psalm 118:14

The message of this verse is critical.  How do I know?  Because it's written out for us three times.  Check it out:

The Lord is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him. - Exodus 15:2

Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. -  Isaiah 12:2

Strength.  Song.  Salvation.  We've already discussed the first and last of those, so let's talk about the Lord as our song.

When I think of a song, I think of gladness, rejoicing, and praise.  I realize some songs and melodies can bring us down, but overall, the word "song" is indicative of good things.  We say we have a song on our heart or there's a song bubbling within us.  Music has a way of setting the soul free and provides a beautiful outlet for praise and worship.  It is no accident there's a songbook in the middle of the Bible.  Music is essential and plays a vital role in our spiritual and emotional state.

One of my favorite references to the word "song" in the Bible is Psalm 42:8 which reads, Yet the Lord will command his lovingkindness in the day time, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.

God's lovingkindness is with me during the day, and His song is with me in the night.  Let's break that down.  If God's song is with me in the night (the dark times of my life), and God is my song, then God is with me in the darkest hours.  Not only can I feel His presence, but He allows peace to settle deep in my heart.  There is no other explanation for why Christians can laugh and cry at the same time.  How else could we sing a song when our hearts are broken?  It can only be because God is that song.  He gives us Himself.

When we feel all alone.
When our dreams are shattered.
When the doctor shakes his head and walks away.
When the bills are due, and the bank account is empty.
When it seems everyone is against us.
When nothing runs smoothly.
When the days are long and the nights are longer.

God is our strength, meaning He'll give us the power to make it through.  He is our salvation, which tells us He will provide a way around or through our current trial.  And He is our song, meaning that no matter what is happening around us, we still have a reason to sing.  God is with us.  He is in us.  And He is for us.  He's worthy of a melody or two.

Sure, it may be dark from where you're standing, but last time I checked, your voice works fine without light.  So, open up and sing praises to God.  Don't know what to sing?  Never fear.  God will give you the perfect song when you need it most.

1 comment:

Glen Follweiter said...

Thanks Dana. What a beautiful post.He is our song. How awesome is that. In my heart there rings a melody, there rings a melody with heavens harmony....First day of snow here in Kamloops. Kind of beautiful. Thanks Lord for the different seasons.
Blessings