Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Facing the Son


As I drove through my neighborhood this morning, I noticed one of my neighbors has some extremely tall sunflowers. The flowers were growing very close to the house, and a couple of them extended above the roof of the house. Now that's some tall flowers!

Sunflowers are an interesting plant. At sunrise, they are turned toward the east. But over the course of the day, they follow the sun from east to west. I find that truly amazing. I also find that it's a very good reminder for me.

During the course of my day, am I constantly facing the Son? Do I follow His movements? Do I walk in His path? Unfortunately, that's not always the case. Many times I get so caught up in what I'm doing and where I'm going that I forget to seek God's will in all things. I forget to keep my face pointed towards Him. When this happens, I suffer the same fate as the sunflower if it fails to face the sun: a weakening, and in severe cases, total destruction.

You see, the sunflower needs full sun. Not partial sun. Not full sun part of the time. No, it needs full sun all day long. I'm the same way. Despite how many times I think I can accomplish things on my own, I need the Son all day, every day. The sooner I remember that, the better off I will be.

No comments: