Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Getting My Attention

Last night at church, my preacher preached a message from Genesis 16. It's the story where Sarai grows tired of waiting on God to fulfill His promise, so she decides to take matters into her own hands. So, Abram has a child with Sarai's servant, Hagar, and today, we are still reaping the consequences of this foolish act.

Whenever I hear this story, I get so aggravated with Abram and Sarai. Why couldn't you just wait on God? I wonder. Why did you think you knew better than He did? Didn't you trust Him to keep His promise? But, about half-way through my rant, I realize that I do the same thing day after day. I ask God for something. He promises to supply my needs. But if He doesn't answer within my time frame, I take matters into my own hands.

By taking control of the situation, not only do I miss out on a blessing from God, but I also make a mess of things. But that isn't even the worse part. While cleaning up my messes and licking my wounds, I have to ask myself, Who else did this affect? As I stated earlier, Abram's and Sarai's mistake is still causing massive trouble today. What kind of trouble are my mistakes causing?

Just this week, I have been fighting this battle again. I've begged the Lord to help me with a certain situation, but it seems that He hasn't heard me. My "natural man" wants to take control and say, Fine! You won't help me; I'll help myself!" But the "spiritual man" is asking, Lord, what are you trying to teach me during this time of waiting? I can't listen to both. I must make a choice. I believe last night's sermon was for me. I believe God was reminding me to be careful, for when I try to take matters into my own hands, I may be hurting more than just myself. And that is not acceptable!

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments: