Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Resting With My Master

I think my dog is ADHD. Mitch is a 75 lb. Shepherd mix, and I'm beginning to think he's mixed with the Energizer bunny. There is just no end to his energy. When he runs through the house, he breaks the sound barrier. He jumps. He dances. He even sings (I didn't say it was pretty). But of all the things Mitch loves to do, three things are his favorite.

First, he loves to eat. It doesn't matter what kind of food or treat it is, the boy can chow down! I think he should have been named Hoover.

Second, he loves to go for a walk. We have to be very careful not to say the word unless we're ready to walk out the door with him because he goes CRAZY. He'll howl and growl until you put the leash on and take him out. He loves to walk, run, and even hike. He's very active and agile, so he really enjoys getting to go off and explore.

Third, he loves to stretch out between Jason's legs and sleep with his head in Jason's lap. Often, at the end of the day, we'll lie in bed and watch re-runs of The Amazing Race. Mitch loves this time because he knows during this time, he gets a lot of his daddy's attention. He rests in Jason's lap while Jason pets him. It doesn't take long for him to fall asleep. It's really sweet.

The other night, we were just getting settled into bed when we noticed a large nose and a pair of eyes at the end of the bed. We acknowledged Mitch and told him he could come up. He jumped on the bed and with an enthusiasm I'd rarely seen walked right up to "his spot" and plopped down, closing his eyes in complete contentment.

The scene made me wonder if I'm that enthusiastic when I rest with my Master. Am I too busy to be content simply resting in His warm embrace? Do I come to him with joy and excitement, eager to spend time with Him? Do I go to Him often enough that I have my own "spot"?

It's something worth thinking about. The more I think about it, the more I realize that Mitch and I have a lot in common. I love to eat! I love to walk and hike (although I don't care much for running). And, I too, love to rest in the lap of my Master. I only pray that I can do it with as much enthusiasm as Mitch does.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28

No comments: