Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, November 24, 2008

Teaching Is the Best Way to Learn

Yesterday for Sunday School, I taught an object lesson that I found in Everyday Object Lessons for Youth Groups by Helen Musick and Duffy Robbins. The lesson was short and very basic, but it made a very strong point and made me examine my own life to see where I stood. Here's the lesson in a nutshell:

What Kind of Shoe Are You?
I began the lesson by presenting several different types of shoes to the girls. Then I asked, "If you were a shoe, which one would you want to be, and why?" The girls thought for several minutes, then gave their answers. Then, I revealed what each shoe represented as follows:

Dress shoes: I have a nice, shiny faith on the outside--but I only bring it out on Sundays and special occasions.

Bedroom slippers: I've made a commitment to Christ, but I've been pretty lazy in terms of trying to serve Him.

Work boots: It's been hard work lately, but I'm actually following through on my responsibilities.

Running shoes: I feel like God's helping me finish the race.

Worn out shoes: I've come a long way, but I need some serious "heeling."

Holey shoes: I don't worry much about a relationship with God or the state of my "sole."

We then read some Scriptures about how we should walk with the Lord, and I closed the lesson by asking these two questions:
Which of the shoes best represents your own walk with Christ right now?
Which of the shoes do you think most represents our youth group?

I must admit that, as the teacher, I was convicted by the lesson. As I studied for the lesson, I found myself praying and asking God to forgive me for sometimes being the wrong kind of shoe. I asked him to help me to keep a faithful walk with Him.

It just goes to show you that if you really want to learn something, teach it to someone else. You'll be amazed how much more you get from the lesson. With that in mind, what kind of shoe are you?

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
Micah 6:8

No comments: