Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, January 19, 2009

What Am I Supposed To Do?

Last week, I posted an interesting query about David. Did he run from Saul because of a lack of faith in the Lord or just plain common sense? The more I've thought on this question, the more I've realized that things are not always cut and dry. Finding and doing the will of the Lord can be very complicated.

For example, right now I'm going through some things that I've been praying about for a long time, yet it seems like I'm getting nowhere. It sometimes makes me doubt if my prayers are even getting through. But, more than that, I find myself wondering if this is one of the times I'm supposed to just sit back and watch God work a miracle or if this is one of the times I'm supposed to respond to an opportunity to bring that miracle about. Does that make sense?

Throughout the Bible, we see story after story of people who tried to "help God out." In the process, they made a huge mess! I don't want to do that. On the other hand, I don't want to ask God for something, and then just sit back and expect Him to do all the work. The Bible also tells of God working great miracles through willing servants. So, the question is, do I try to help or do I stay out of the way and let God work? Hmm!

It's strange how sometimes I can hear God's voice so clearly, yet other times all I hear is silence. I know He is with me. I know He has heard my prayer. And, I know He will answer my prayer in His time. Until then, I will continue to pray that He will make His will clear to me. After all, I don't want to make a mess of things. I want God to be pleased with my "performance" in this situation. I want to do what's right.

For those of you reading this and saying, "What in the world is going on?," just relax. It's nothing major. It's just another part of life where you come to a crossroads, and you have to decide which way to turn. I don't take any decisions lightly, so even "simple decisions" can become a stumbling block for me. I've been accused of being too detail-oriented, but I think in our Christian walk, the details are important.

Anyway, thanks for listening! Today's was an unusual post, but it feels good to voice the confusion that I'm facing right now. Sometimes, it even helps to put things into perspective.

No comments: