Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year's Resolution

I'm back! I pray that everyone had a wonderful holiday season. I know that I did, but I find myself ready to get back into a "normal" schedule. That being said, here's a thought for the new year.

As we pack away the Christmas decorations and nativity scenes, let's not forget that every day is a reason to celebrate. Not only that, but let's also not pack God away with the holiday stuff. What do I mean? As we settle back into our routines, it's easy to operate on auto-pilot and forget all about God. That is, until we need Him.

Have you ever thought about how much we use God? He gives us the rain we need, and we complain. So, He gives us sunshine, and we fuss about the heat. He offers us blessing after blessing. Some we accept with gratitude, but many we grab without a second thought of where they come from. We neglect our daily time with God because, after all, we're very busy. We go to church out of duty or habit, not really seeking an opportunity to worship the Lord of Lords. But when trouble comes, boy, we're down on our knees in a hurry. Aren't we?

How sad! As this new year has begun, one of my resolutions is to stop treating God like a spare tire or a genie in a bottle. Yes, He is a help in the time of need, but He is so much more! This year, I want my time with God to be special and precious. I want it to be more than me reciting a list of my wants and needs. I want to spend time with God as my Father, my Friend, and my Comforter. I want to stop using God and start treating Him with the love and respect He deserves.

I challenge each of you this year to focus some attention on your daily walk with God. (For those of you who don't think you need help in this area, you can ignore the following.) As you enter into your special time with the Lord, don't forget about praise, worship, and thanksgiving. And don't forget to take some time just to bask in the presence of the Lord.

God loves each of us, but I'm sure He wearies of only being called upon to grant wishes. Let's not fall into this trap. It will take some time and effort on our part, but He is worth it!

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Matthew 6:6

No comments: