Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fixing Our Mistakes


While visiting family in Delaware, I asked my aunt (a middle-school English teacher) if she would proof-read one of my books. I was so embarrassed when she gave it back to me. There were so many mistakes, and I had checked the book myself many times. The problem is, as many writers will tell you, that when proofing a work of my own, I see what I intended to write instead of what is really there. I had stupid mistakes like confusing "lay" and "lie." I know the difference. There were misspelled words and misplaced modifiers. Needless to say, it was a humbling experience, but a necessary one.

The Christian walk can be similar. As we go from day to day, we make mistakes. Some days we make more than others. The thing is that some mistakes we make without even realizing that we're doing them. We know it's wrong, but for some reason (maybe because it's become a habit) we do it unconsciously.

Now, some of you are probably thinking, What is she talking about? What sins do I commit without even realizing it? I'm glad you asked. How about speeding? We know it's wrong, but we often do it unconsciously or by justifying it because everyone else is speeding too. How about overeating or eating the wrong things? How about whining or complaining? How about the negative thoughts that run through our minds with the force of a freight train? These are mistakes that many of us make daily but that often go unnoticed.

So, if they're unnoticed, what's the problem? The problem is that if we don't get our sins settled, they start to build up, causing a rift between us and our Lord. Don't get me wrong. Our sins don't affect our salvation. If we're saved, our sins have already been paid for, and nothing can change that. However, our sin can affect our relationship to God. After all, it's hard to stay close to One who is so holy when we have so much un-confessed sin in our lives.

Just as I needed my aunt to point out the stupid mistakes in my book, so do we need the Lord to point out the stupid mistakes in our lives. Allow Him to "edit" your life today, and when He points out the problems, make an effort to get them right.

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. - Psalm 139:23-24

No comments: