Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, October 15, 2010

Believing Is Seeing


We've all heard the phrase "seeing is believing," but when it comes to faith in the Lord, the opposite is true: believing is seeing. The Bible says that faith is the evidence of things unseen. Faith comes first, and then sight. Is it just me, or does anyone else have a problem in this area?

Please don't misunderstand. I have put my faith in Christ for salvation. I believe that He is God and that He came to earth to die for my sins. I believe that I am a sinner and that without accepting Christ's gift of salvation, I would spend eternity in hell. I have confessed my sin and surrendered my heart and life to God. Somehow, that part seems easy. But daily faith . . . that's where I have problems.

When facing daily battles, I find my mind bogged down with thoughts like this: Sure, God, you defeated Goliath, but this problem is WAY bigger than that. Yes, God, I know you parted the Red Sea and led the children of Israel across, but I just don't see any hope for this situation. Of course, God, I remember how You fed the 5,000, but I'm really in need here, and I just don't see how we're going to make ends meet this month.

As I type these words, I'm amazed and embarrassed at the foolishness contained within them. How can I trust God to save me and not trust Him to keep me? How can I believe the message of the Bible, yet wonder if God is big enough to meet my needs? The only conclusion I can come to is that I'm stuck on the old adage "seeing is believing." Like Thomas the disciple, I want to see proof before I truly place my trust in things I hope to be true.

Jesus humored Thomas and allowed him to not only see but also to touch His wounded body. Unfortunately, I haven't been given that same opportunity. What I have been given, however, is the chance to see miracles. These miracles remind me that God is still in control. He is still all-powerful. He is still the same God. And He can meet any need I may have. Could it be that He's simply waiting on me to believe? After all, there are many times in the New Testament that miracles occurred only after the faith was displayed. Is it possible that I've been missing out on blessings because I'm just too stubborn to have faith?

How about you? How's your faith today? Are you waiting on a blessing from God? Show Him your faith, and He'll show you His power!

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. - Hebrews 11:1

No comments: