Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Are You Insane?


It's been said that the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result. No matter how many times I throw a rock into the lake, it's going to sink. My persistence won't change the laws of gravity and buoyancy, causing the rock to float. It just won't happen. That example is kind of a no-brainer, but when I think of my daily struggles, I realize that I truly am insane.

The bank account is low. Why don't I worry about it? That will fix it, right? It never has before, but I'm sure it will this time. My health isn't where I want it to be, so I'll just continue to eat foods I know are not good for me. I stay busy all day but never feel as if I've accomplished anything. Sounds like I just need to work harder and stay busier, right? Do you see what I mean? Day after day, I fuss and complain about not being where I want to be physically, spiritually, financially, etc., yet I keep tackling things in the same way I always have. Worry, scheme, plot, pinch pennies, stress, devour chocolate cake. At the time, those responses seem to be the right choice, but looking back, I can see my pattern of insanity.

The disciples had the same problem one night out on the lake. Fishermen by trade, they knew the best time and place to catch fish. Still, on this particular night, that knowledge didn't seem to be doing them much good. No matter how many times they cast their net over the side of the boat, it always came up empty. I imagine they felt as discouraged as I do when my net of desires and goals consistently comes up empty. But then, everything changed.

In accordance with the command of their Master, they cast their net on the other side. The result? A multitude of fish. In fact, there were too many fish for them to even pull the nets into the boats. All that trouble. All that disappointment. All that wasted time. The solution was so simple, and it's the same in my life.

When my net consistently comes up empty I know it's time for me to try the other side. Stop trying to do things my own way, and follow God's instructions. Instead of worrying, pray. Instead of grabbing the chocolate cake, reach for some spiritual food in the Word of God. Instead of plotting and scheming, ask God to direct my path and make His directions clear to me. I know from experience when I cast my net on the other side, the catch is more than I could have ever dreamed.

No comments: