Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Processed Prayer

After reading the book, Made to Crave, I embarked on a new journey. I was tired of letting food rule my life and dictate my moods. It was time to make some serious changes, and I finally found the proper motivation to get me going. It hasn't been easy, but I've been slowly making changes to my diet and exercise regimen to help me reach my health goals.

I thought the toughest changes were going to be in cutting back on sweets and caffeine, but that part has actually been easy compared to my battle with processed food. I never realized what a powerful hold processed food had on me until I tried to cut it out. Turns out I love processed food, not for the taste but for the convenience. Admit it, don't you love to pop a cardboard pizza into the oven and have a cheap and easy meal in less than ten minutes? What's not to love?

I have so many things to do during the course of the day, I don't feel like making a big production out of meal time. Fixing a nice dinner takes enough time and energy. Do I have to fix a nice lunch too? It takes too much time. It requires too much effort. It consists of upfront planning. Is it really that big a deal?

Actually, yes, it is. An even bigger deal, however, is when I deal with a similar problem concerning prayer. There's so much to do, so many tasks to accomplish. Who has time to pray? After all, I took the time to do my Bible reading. Isn't that enough? Do I really need prayer too? It takes so much more time and effort. Is it really worth it?

If you really don't know the answer to that question, I urge you to do a little test. Examine your life on the days you don't go to God in prayer and compare them to the days you do. Do you see a difference? Just as unprocessed food is good for a bodies, prayer is good for our souls. It really does make a difference. No, it may not always be convenient, but it's always right.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to plan my meals for the day. Prayer is definitely on the menu!

No comments: