Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, May 20, 2011

Don't Forget


Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me. I did know thee in the wilderness, in the land of great drought. According to their pasture, so were they filled; they were filled, and their heart was exalted; therefore have they forgotten me.- Hosea 13:4-6

If I were to re-write the last verse of that passage, I would say, "I took care of them and met their needs. Once everything was going right, they no longer needed me." It's a sad passage. It truly is. Unfortunately, it sounds all too familiar. How many of us are guilty of the same thing? When times are tough, we cling to God like a dryer sheet, but when things are going well, who needs God, right? What a shame!

Over time, I have learned that God is the same God in the good times and the bad; therefore, I need to treat Him as such. Yes, when things are going well, it's easy to just skip through life, not giving a second thought to the source of my good fortune. And, it's even easier to run to God when troubles hit me head on. But I never want my Father to say of me, "She forgot me." I want God to know that I'm His true friend through the good times and the bad.

No comments: