Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, August 26, 2011

Are You a Prisoner?


Do you ever feel like a prisoner? As Christians, we were once held captive by sin, but thanks to the grace of God, we are freed from that captivity. But does that mean we are no longer bound by anything? I don't know about you, but I often feel like a prisoner. I'm held captive by a body that can't seem to keep up with my life's goals. I'm held captive by financial bonds. I'm held captive by the restraints of time. Sometimes, I'm even held captive by chocolate. (Don't laugh. It's quite a predicament.)

Seriously, though, I think we all feel like prisoners from time to time. Circumstances beyond our control bind us to a life we never expected or a problem we're unable to solve. Freedom from our bonds (whatever they may be) seems to always be just out of reach. The prison doors have slammed shut, and we don't have the key.

Thankfully, we know the One who is the Key to unlock all of our prison doors. No matter the type of bondage we're in, Jesus is the answer. In addition to that, I read a verse this morning that encouraged me further. It reminded me that I was a prisoner, but a prisoner of something good. Take a look.

Turn you to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope: even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee. - Zechariah 9:12

Prisoners of hope. I like that! Doesn't it feel good to be reminded that we are not only held captive by negative things but also by something positive. We are bound by hope. So what exactly is hope? Webster's dictionary describes it as follows: (1) trust, reliance (2) a desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfillment (3) someone or something on which hopes are centered (4) something expected with confidence

As Christians, we have hope in every sense of the word. We have trust and reliance in the Word of God. We know it says what it means and means what it says. We have a desire accompanied by expectation in that we know God's promises are true and will be fulfilled. We have Someone on whom our hopes are centered, for through Christ, all things are possible. And we can expect with confidence that there is a better place awaiting us where they is no pain, no joy and no prisons.

What kind of prisoner are you today? I hope you can say you're a prisoner of hope!

No comments: