Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, August 12, 2011

Is Your House in Order?


The company with which my husband is employed (The Clean Force Company) has had a very busy week this week. They clean the carpets for a local apartment complex for college students. The existing tenants move out at the end of July, and the new tenants move in the second week of August. That leaves Clean Force with one week to clean the entire complex. With only two vans and three employees, the job means long hours and a lot of hard work.

Jason has been leaving around 7:00 in the morning and getting home around 8:00 in the evening. With that kind of schedule, I am confined to "dog duty" for the entire day. It's been nearly two weeks since I've been to the grocery store, and the meal selections are getting pretty slim. We're not starving by any means, but if I don't get to the store soon, I may have to start combining foods that God never intended to go together.

That being said, when I found out that last night would be another late night, I sent a text to Jason and asked if he would pick up a pizza on his way home. The response I received was "Sounds good. I invited Anthony [his co-worker] over too. I hope that's okay." To be honest, the first thought that popped into my head was Are you crazy????? First of all, I was hoping to have at least a little bit of family time before you crash. Second, the house is a disaster! You know this. You know I haven't been able to keep up with the housework while trying to keep Mitch down and calm. It just doesn't work. My dust bunnies have dust bunnies. Are you trying to kill me?

What I actually said was something along the lines of "I guess so. I had hoped to have some family time, but if you've already invited him, we'll make it work." What was I supposed to do? Un-invite him. That would be rude. Besides, I like Anthony. I just didn't want anyone to see my house in its current condition. I don't even like seeing my house in its current condition. (Fortunately, I had already removed the pesky five-foot-long spider condo.)

I did what I could to spruce up the house a little. I ran the dust mop across the floor and corralled as many dust bunnies as possible. I cleared off the dining room table so that we would have a place to eat. I ran a brush through my hair and dabbed a little makeup on my face. Everything looked better but far from perfect. Fortunately, I think Anthony, like Jason, was too tired to care. Still, I felt so ashamed. After all, doesn't the Bible say something about women being "keepers at home"?

But you know, as important as it is to keep our physical houses in order, it's even more important to keep our spiritual houses in order. You see, I had warning that company was coming over for dinner. I had a couple of hours to set things in order (somewhat). When the Lord returns, there will be no such warning. There will be no phone call or text message letting us know He's on His way. There will be no more time to set our houses in order.

Are you ready to meet Him today? Have you been washed in His blood? Have you accepted Him as your Lord and Savior? Have you confessed your sin and asked for forgiveness? Is your house ready? Dust bunnies or not, here He comes!

If you would like to learn more about what it means to set your house in order, please contact me. I would love to introduce you to the greatest gift ever given.

But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. - Matthew 24:36

No comments: