Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, September 14, 2012

Every Day Deserves a Chance

I prevented the dawning of the morning. - Psalm 119:147a

What an interesting phrase.  Unfortunately, it's so easily overlooked in the massive chapter of Psalm 119.  In fact, I recently discovered a couple of things that I had overlooked time and time again because I had been so focused on the theme of the psalm:  the Word of God.  The first is the phrase above from verse 147.  The second is the 16 different times the psalm references living or quickening (making alive).  After some thought and study, I've come to the conclusion that the two are related.

In the book of John, Jesus said, "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."  God wants more for us than our mere existence.  He wants us to truly live!  He wants us to enjoy life, not endure it.  He longs for us to live to our full potential, holding nothing back.  But so often, we prevent the dawning of the morning.  No, we can't keep the sun from rising on the horizon, but we can certainly keep it from rising in our souls.  And we do every time we fail to give the day a chance.

"Oh man, it's Monday again.  I hate Mondays!" - We are setting ourselves up for a bad day.

"I have so much to do today.  I don't know how I'm going to get it all done.  In fact, I don't even know where to begin." - We are setting ourselves up for a stressful day.

"I know I should exercise today, but I'm just too tired.  I'll do it tomorrow." - We are setting ourselves up for guilt, as well as a lack of energy.

"It would be nice to have a proper meal, but I just don't have the time.  We'll grab something on the way." - We are setting ourselves up for poor health.

Every time we fail to do something we know we should do, we prevent the dawning of the morning.  Every time we approach situations with a "doom and gloom" attitude, we prevent the sun from rising in our souls.  Day after day, we find ourselves in the darkness of night, and it's our own faults.  Because of fear of failure or fear of hard work, we are denying ourselves the opportunity to live fully.  We haven't given life a chance!

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of living in the night.  I want to see the sunshine!  I want to live.  I want to serve the Lord the best I can, and I can't do that in the dark.  It's time for a change of attitude.  It's time for a change of perspective.  It's time to start doing the things I know I need to do.  I'm ready to experience life more abundantly!  Are you with me?

2 comments:

nancyaruegg@gmail.com said...

Oh, yes, Dana, I am with you! Your analysis of the easy but poor choices we make is right on. To see the sunrise in our souls we have to make those difficult-but- best choices. Thank you for the encouragement!

Dana Rongione said...

Thank you, Nancy, for stepping out with me. Change isn't easy, but it is often necessary.