Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, May 2, 2014

A Short and Sweet Reminder

While at the grocery store, I stood in line with what appeared to be the entire upstate of South Carolina.  "Don't you people have homes or jobs?" I wondered as I hunted for a shorter line.  No such luck!  Determined to be patient, I waited my turn and was thankful that I was only making a small trip to pick up a few items.  As I finally reached the checkout, I pushed my cart forward and noticed the woman behind me.  She, too, was waiting patiently, and in her hands she held a single pack of lunch meat.

"Ma'am," I said, "would you like to go ahead?"  At first she seemed startled, and then her eyes filled with tears.  "Thank you," she said in a rush.  "That's so kind."  She started forward, telling me how she was on her way home from the hospital with her little girl who had just had a chemo treatment.  She had stopped by the store to pick up lunch meat for sandwiches but was in a hurry to get the girl home and comfortable.  My eyes, too, filled with tears, and my heart swelled with joy.  My one simple gesture had given this woman of moment of peace in the midst of an obvious storm in her life.

As she grabbed her bag, she turned back to me, her eyes still glistening and said, "Thank you again."  I smiled and wished her the best.  And for the remainder of the day, I felt happy and lighthearted, like I had made a difference in someone's life.

It doesn't take much.  A simple smile.  An unexpected gesture.  The uncommon occurrence of putting someone else's need before our own.  No, it doesn't take much to make someone's day.  And the funny thing is that usually, the act will make your day too.

No comments: